Thread: Looking to collaborate with artist to create a city map

Default Looking to collaborate with artist to create a city map

Hello everyone,

My name is Ori, this'll be my second post here looking for commissions. I've cross-posted this from reddit also to broaden my search net, I hope that's not against any rules. Anyhow, I'm currently planning to run a Pathfinder game for my friends on roll20. The idea is that they're all adventurers living in this one really large city which has a ton of districts, places and imposing buildings. Around the city would be a whole slew of biomes where hostile magical creatures roam about, things like scorpions in a desert area and trolls in a hill area. Multiple of the same area would also exist and as a rule, the farther you are from the city the stronger creatures would be. So a goblin in a plains area near the city would be weaker than a goblin in a plains area further away from the city.

In terms of artists, I'm looking for someone who would collaborate with me. I only kinda have a vague idea of what I want the map to look like, so someone who can ask me the hard questions or say "hey, here's a suggestion". Most importantly I guess would be a bit of patience, I'm kinda a airhead.

My budget is 120€ though that's also more or less upper maximum, my minimum would be 60€. Since me and my friends tend to play online using roll20, the work would have to be digital. It's for non-commercial use, just for me and my friends in our tabletop games.

If you're interested, please link me to your portfolio and a city or terrain map you've made in the past.

Oh and here's a rough idea I drew a while ago. Warning, it's ugly as sin. I'm not an artist like you guys. Link and here's a few example images made by actually competent artists, to illustrate what I'm looking for more or less: 1, 2, 3 & 4.

Cheers, Ori

EDIT: Some extra and more concise information for potential artists.
    Quality & Size
    3840×2160, colour.

Time Constraints
    No Deadline.

Payment
    Between 60 and 120 euros via PayPal.

Copyright
    The map is for private use. The artist will retain copyright of the map

Contact Details
    milos-s-markovic1994*@*live.nl
    Remove the asterisks.

Notice Special thanks to everyone who took an interest in this commission. I have managed to find a suitable artist willing to take on the commission. The commission is now closed, have a pleasant day
    Last edited by OriVerda; 01-17-2021 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Commission closed

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hey Ori,

and welcome back here.

So, to sum your request up, you'd like someone to draw a detailed, large city plus the directly surrounding area, sporting partially vastly different biomes, correct?

Not going to lie here, and I don't mean to come across as rude, but that's a commission request for someone with probably five times your stated maximum budget at their disposal, and that's just because it would be non-commercial. Maybe there are others who would try their hands at it for €450 or even €350, but you're not going to get a map of that size, scope and quality for €120. Just not going to happen, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Hey Ori,

and welcome back here.

So, to sum your request up, you'd like someone to draw a detailed, large city plus the directly surrounding area, sporting partially vastly different biomes, correct?

Not going to lie here, and I don't mean to come across as rude, but that's a commission request for someone with probably five times your stated maximum budget at their disposal, and that's just because it would be non-commercial. Maybe there are others who would try their hands at it for €450 or even €350, but you're not going to get a map of that size, scope and quality for €120. Just not going to happen, sorry.
    No worries, you didn't come across as rude. Thank you for the telling me this. Kinda a shame but it's entirely understandable. I'll keep this thread here for the 0.02% chance someone might take up the commission, you never know.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I'll say this. I've tested the waters a bit of the bigger city maps and city maps are quite a bit more involved to make than say a general world map or a continent map.

If it is just you and your friends I would actually say a better bet would be to purchase a city map set and then either make your story from there, or commission someone for a nice and simple surrounding area map so you can fill in some of what you had in mind.

Anyway, I can point you to my city map Thunder Rock (Day and Night versions) if you are interested.
    Have a lovely day

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi Ori

I'm currently looking for my first paid commission and would be willing to offer a lower rate as a one-time thing to someone willing to take a chance on a first-time professional, the map you are after also sounds similar to one I have been planning as a piece for my portfolio anyway.
    I do only work in physical materials (pen and paper), but a high-quality scan of a physical map may meet your needs.

Here is a link to my portfolio anyway and if your interested send me an email to https://minishcartography.wordpress.com/ and we can discuss some options for a potential map.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.