Thread: Dec '20/ Jan '21 Lite Challenge: Smuggler's Den

Default Dec '20/ Jan '21 Lite Challenge: Smuggler's Den

Okay, I got my tablet for the holidays, so now I need to force myself to use it instead of the nice comfortable touchpad (). Proceed with caution, I am NOT a traditional pencil or pen sketcher, this is my first attempt at "sketching" anything beyond technical diagrams for jewelry design or the like which really just served to store ideas until I worked on them. The later work will be much cleaner.

So, starting as primitive as can be, here is the doodle I came up with for the encounter map. Roughly 3 possible encounter areas, the landing, the camp and the house. If I have time, I may do the inside of the house as an inset. I will be attempting to use all elements or artifacts that I create rather than elements from the internet because I need the practice and it should help me get used to the tablet.

Preliminary story: Smugglers have been bringing in contraband to the local town and larger city down the river. The city has sent word that the town needs to stop these miscreants or they will be raising taxes on merchandise coming from the township and searching their cargo when they get to the city. The town has tried without success to track them down (they have only a single magistrate and his deputy) and has now posted a reward for the capture or removal of the smugglers.

Starting with just a doodle to get an idea of where things are at.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmugglersDen.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	127397
    Content available for use under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

Started on the grounds, brush and trees. Thinking about doing hybrid trees this time, lowering their opacity and showing the trunks through the trees as one of the views. This will compromise between realism and playability, if it works.

Tablet progress: Well, first thing I ended up doing was completely rearranging my desk. Angled the tablet the same as the bigger monitor, moved the laptop out of my way. This let me have more control and also removed the convenience of doing things not on the tablet. I think I am going to like it long term. Some things are still finicky, like right clicking. Need to get some labels for my hot keys so I can easily copy, paste, undo, zoom, etc. Still plenty of learning to do.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	SmugglersDen20201228_1300.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	127475

Welcome to the Challenge eepjr24! It will be interesting to watch how you progress with using your new tablet!

Finished up the trees pretty much. Working on my test for tree shadows on the encounter map, see below.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	SmugglersDen20201230_1339_trees.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	127556

And here is what I would switch to when there is action and the PC's need to work around the trees, use them for cover, etc.

Name:	SmugglersDen20201230_1339_notrees.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	127557

Thoughts?

Hi Ernie.

Where did you draw inspiration from for this piece?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------