Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lands of Tribute - A study in style and a big thank you.

Praise Lands of Tribute - A study in style and a big thank you.

This is not really a map. it’s more of a study and a tribute to some cartographers who influenced me a lot, especially these last months.

When I decided to take up cartography and do something serious with it I did not anticipate the welcoming and warming community behind the scenes. I’ve lurked long years on this forum before I had the guts to make an account and actually post here. And I never regretted that decision. Thank you for all the hours you’ve cost me scrolling through pages and pages of knowledge and inspiration. Without you guys I would never have been doing what I do now. Making maps!

Now I have the privilege to work on commissions. Which brings a whole new aspect to the table.. Communicating and perfectionism.. Bringing someones world/idea/book/game to life is awesome but it’s also really hard not to get stuck in the ‘now-I-have-to-draw-perfectly’ mode.. How do you guys deal with that?

Anyway, here is the map. The four cartographers I chose for this map are:

Fanstastic Maps
    Jonathan Roberts was my first love. I found him and his tutorials long before I found out about this forum. This taught me blending modes, coastlines and everything in between.

Sir Inkman
    Or John Stevenson, or J. Edward. His maps are sometimes more illustrative than conventional. I really liked his linestyle and shading and tried to replicate that.

Mapeffects
    Josh Stolarz is all over instagram when it comes to tutorials. He’s a great guy and he helped me putting together my first contract for a commission. He’s out there for aspiring cartographers and does a great job.

Misty Beee
    Favorite Cartographer. Period. She makes every map unique in style and color and still maintains an overall cohesive, elaborate, impressive style. Every line she makes seems to be perfectly planned. It’s so great to see her so actively participating in this guild.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F2DC23A-2B8B-45EE-A10B-3DD62F62E3A4.jpeg 
Views:	325 
Size:	8.02 MB 
ID:	127577

Have an awesome new year!

This is excellent !! Lovely tribute, and you captured their style very well, btw.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Amazing, the way you could reproduce the style of those four talented cartograph !
    You did such a good job !!!

Wow, yeah, i have to agree with my two map-friends here...you really nailed the style of your rolemodels...that is awesome. I'd say if you can do that, you can be sure of a bright map-future ahead.

And a happy new year to you too!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Really creative, and well-executed! I think you particularly nailed John's quadrant.

Inspirational, the ability to imitate so acutely is really impressive.

IR

I loved this one so much on IG, and it's a joy to see the complete version !

It's an honor to be in this map, but most of all, there's nothing better than this Guild spirit we have here. You're a part of it

A great tribute - all the artists are easy to recognice and more than deserving of being honoured!
    You are a great artist yourself, and the Guild is better for having you in its ranks.

As for your question about commissions and dealing with the pressure. I do appreciate I'm not as much of a pro as some of the true pros, but I do still do commissions from time to time... For me, personally, I just rely more heavily on the client's judgement than my own. I'm never satisfied with my own work anyway, but if the client is happy, that means it's enough. If they didn't like your work, they would have gone to someone else. You can only do the best you can.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

That is one hell of a map and the tribute is a complete success, you really got what makes those mapmasters' maps unique. Way to go Gerralt !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast