Thread: Dec '20/ Jan '21 Lite Challenge: The Monolith of Heatheim

Wip Dec '20/ Jan '21 Lite Challenge: The Monolith of Heatheim

For this months' lite challenge I decided to do a town map as I haven't done one in a while (although with some extra details around the outside). I settled on an idea I had a while ago for a fantasy town built in and around a futuristic alien monolith. This will also be my first go at using ink dip pens for mapping (my wife got me a set for Christmas) and I'm quite pleased with how it is coming along so far.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	progress1.jpeg 
Views:	154 
Size:	679.9 KB 
ID:	127609
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Welcome to the Challenge WMinish! The penwork looks great.

Wip

I sat down and got the town itself inked in. Now I just need to add the town name in the space I've left at the bottom and then get to the colouring.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	progress2.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	127624
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Omg I love this one so so so much!
    Balance, contrast, composition.. Lovely!
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    Omg I love this one so so so much!
    Balance, contrast, composition.. Lovely!
    Thanks Renflower, I really appreciate it.

Here is the latest update, I've now done the title of the main map and started the colouring.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	progress3.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	127630

Wip

Here's some further progress from the last day or so. Most of the main map is now coloured (just a few large areas of trees to go), after that its just the border details to finish off.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	progress4.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	127647

Map

I think I'm done now, I thought about adding detail under the map to make the whole setup look like it was sitting on a wooden table or something but I think I'm happy with it as is.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	progress6.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	127649

Looks terrific! Great job with the coloring!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That map looks terrific. I like the note/folded map on the side. If I may, what did you use to do the coloring? Was it digital or by hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    If I may, what did you use to do the coloring? Was it digital or by hand?
    Hi Arimel. The colouring for this map was all done by hand with colouring pencils (specifically a mix of Faber-Castell classic colours and polychromos). I was pretty much using the same colour palette as for all my other maps although on this one I was using ink dip pens for the first time. I've also moved to a new type of paper (200gsm watercolour paper), this seemed to make a huge difference to the overall look as the paper has much better colour pickup than the paper that I was using. After scanning in I also tweaked the contrast and colour saturation a little bit to account for how my scanner seems to wash out the image a little bit.