Thread: My first Map

Map My first Map

Hi,

first I have to excuse my bad english, I hope you can understand everything I am writing here. If not, please feel free to ask me again.

As I told in my introduction to this forum, I am developing a new Bordgame. I created the following Map, I haven´t still a name for this world. The Names of the different regions are thought as placeholders at the moment. I post this map to get some feedback of you. What could I do better, what is wrong in this map, etc. ...

I started this as a task of the development of the bordgame, but now I am very interested in cartography.

Well, here is my first map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_comp.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	127610

Kind regards,
    JeBaFe

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Before I even get to the map I would like to say that your English is really good and understandable!
    The map itself looks really good. The land/sea stand out well etc. The possible suggestion that I would make is to provide a halo or contrast around the words on the map. At the moment they blend in with the background rather well and adding a halo would help them to pop a bit more. Some contrast on the cities would also help to do the same, though I think that comes down to how important they are for your game. Someone more digitally gifted than me may have a more precise suggestion for this but that is my two cents.
    It is still an amazing map all the same though!

I'll echo Arimel, I see no issue with your English - though I am saying this as a non-native speaker myself, so obviously I may not be the greatest authority here

I think that is a pretty damn solid first map, certainly a lot better than my first attempts ever were. What software are you using, just out of curiosity?

I'll also concur with Arimel about the labels getting a bit lost - adding a Stroke or Outer Glow layer style would help to make them stand out (if you are using a program that operates anything like Photoshop). I personally would go with a shade that is either the same as the surronding land or a little bit lighter, on a blending mode of Normal, rather than the white with Screen that is often the default option the program gives you.

But all in all I think the texturing on the land areas is maybe a tad too strong, as the lineart of the mountains, forests and whatnot all gets a bit muddied in there. Learning to work with texture takes time, but in my opinion is easily one of the most satisfying parts of digital artwork, so keep at it. Different blending modes and colour adjustment layers are your friends

Congrats on finishing your first map!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Before I even get to the map I would like to say that your English is really good and understandable!
    The map itself looks really good. The land/sea stand out well etc. The possible suggestion that I would make is to provide a halo or contrast around the words on the map. At the moment they blend in with the background rather well and adding a halo would help them to pop a bit more. Some contrast on the cities would also help to do the same, though I think that comes down to how important they are for your game. Someone more digitally gifted than me may have a more precise suggestion for this but that is my two cents.
    It is still an amazing map all the same though!
    Hi Arimel,

thanks for your post and your feedback. The cities are not that important for the game, but the City names are. So you are absolutely right about to insert al light glow in the names.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comaration_01.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	127632

Thanks.

Kind regards,
    JeBaFe

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I'll echo Arimel, I see no issue with your English - though I am saying this as a non-native speaker myself, so obviously I may not be the greatest authority here

I think that is a pretty damn solid first map, certainly a lot better than my first attempts ever were. What software are you using, just out of curiosity?

I'll also concur with Arimel about the labels getting a bit lost - adding a Stroke or Outer Glow layer style would help to make them stand out (if you are using a program that operates anything like Photoshop). I personally would go with a shade that is either the same as the surronding land or a little bit lighter, on a blending mode of Normal, rather than the white with Screen that is often the default option the program gives you.

But all in all I think the texturing on the land areas is maybe a tad too strong, as the lineart of the mountains, forests and whatnot all gets a bit muddied in there. Learning to work with texture takes time, but in my opinion is easily one of the most satisfying parts of digital artwork, so keep at it. Different blending modes and colour adjustment layers are your friends

Congrats on finishing your first map!
    Hi Kellerica,

thanks for you informative feedback. In my previous post I insert a picture for an example of a light glow in the citiy name. I think it is a very good idea that I will apply into my map.

I use PhotoShop CS3 / CS4. First I paint the country/continent contour on a sheet of paper, then I scanned it, etc... It is a realy big map, so it took his time... I think I can learn a lot in this forum in how to creat a map faster then I did. So I am very happy to found that place here.

Kind reagrds,
    JeBaFe

Hey! I love the map.

There's a lot of really nice detail on the trees and mountains, which creates a really nice old school look. How did you do so many? Did you had draw them one by one or did you use a brush?

Also I love the compass rose, looks like one of those nice ornate ones from old maps. Like the others, I find the text a bit hard to read without a stroke or glow, but you've already got that covered

Really great first map, look forward to seeing your next one!

Thanks a lot BrassArt. Oh yes, I am sure that I will do some more maps. It is a realy nice hobby.
    I used a brush for the trees.

Kind regards,
    JeBaFe