Thread: Untitled Refinement in Process

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Default Untitled Refinement in Process

Hello all Cartographers!

I've been sedulously studying actual satellite maps, scanning for patterns, and trying to duplicate them in my own original way. This involved a very complicated process that does NOT rely on actual DEM data, as I've reiterated many times. Today, however, I've made the process a bit more complex and arrived at the following results. I don't know if I'm quite there yet, but here is another attempt. Although I must admit I hate the "shape" of it, I need to know if there's anything I can improve so that I can proceed with my BIG project.

Please let me know what you think!

Peter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProcessNew.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	127651

It's a bit grainy at the full zoom. If it's not intended to be rescaled for print, slap an anti-aliasing on the brush you used for it, or do it with vector lines instead for maximum clarity. The colors for the depth communication look great, I agree with you the shape's a bit weird... I think it's for an artistic reason, we generally expect to see things broken up into thirds, so with the split in the middle and just a portion of ocean on one side, and the continent being cut off just before the sea on the right, the balance of it is all thrown a bit off, it isn't quite resolving in a satisfactory layout kind of way.

The graduation in the landmass works for what you mean to communicate and the ocean color is decent, though I much prefer the darker blue with ocean depth shading in the Rammstein map I just commented on, compared to this flat blue. If you truly do a huge project it would be worth it to work in those ocean depth layers, even if you select a lighter blue to evoke the more traditional atlas.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I don't have any idea about the way you proceed, but the result is really interesting. Congratulations !

If I may, I'd personnaly change the color of the rivers a bit for some darker tone. I can barely see it in the heights.
    I agree with Tiana, there's a kind of "dashed texture" over the continent, and shores and rivers are a bit pixelized; but I'm not sure that's an issue. It gives a certain flavor to the map, I like its vibe

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    If you truly do a huge project it would be worth it to work in those ocean depth layers, even if you select a lighter blue to evoke the more traditional atlas.
    Yup I would have say the same it would be pretty cool to actually see what lurks in the seas in terms of topography (at least)