Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2021 Challenge: The Fallen Lands

Wip January 2021 Challenge: The Fallen Lands

Hi All

I've decided to throw my hat in the ring for the main challenge this month. The map I'm working on shows a region that has been conquered and enslaved by dragons. With any meaningful resistance from the former rulers dealt with the Dragons have each carved out their own domains and now enjoy the spoils. They constantly feud amongst themselves while the remains of the kingdoms unenslaved inhabitants struggle on in the fringes where the settlements are too poor for the Dragons to bother with.

Here's my current work in progress. I'm quite pleased with how it's coming so far, the text took me ages to do but has come up quite nicely although I'm not sure that I'm entirely pleased with my choice of border around the map title.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	progress1.jpeg 
Views:	134 
Size:	639.8 KB 
ID:	127713
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Too late now, unless you Photoshop an alternative in! Just embrace it and try to make it work.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Too late now, unless you Photoshop an alternative in! Just embrace it and try to make it work.
    Yip, that's just one of those things you have to deal with when you work in physical media. I've been penciling in some other elements around it and it's growing on me a bit though, so we'll see.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Wip

Here's the latest update, I've now got the majority of the map area inked in. Next I'll go through and finish the border elements and start on the colouring.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	progress2.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1,011.4 KB 
ID:	127727

Wip

I've now finished the inking in phase and with it now completed I'm much happier with my map title, adding the border in particular brought it all together quite nicely. Time to move onto the colouring.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	progress3.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	127736

Gorgeous work on this! It has a lot of character .

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Gorgeous work on this! It has a lot of character .
    Thanks Ilanthar, and congratulations on winning the challenge last month with that truly excellent map.

Here is the latest update to my map, I've started on the colouring and have done a decent chunk already.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	progress4.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	127759

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Vibrant colors ! It's looking good !

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Vibrant colors ! It's looking good !
    Thanks Jo, I'm really pleased with the colour vibrancy I've been able to achieve on my more recent maps. I just changed to a higher quality paper with much more of a tooth to it and this has really helped a lot.

Here is the latest update and what I think is going to be the final version of this map (as long as I don't spot any more areas of shading that I've missed).

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	TheFallenLands_LowRes.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	5.97 MB 
ID:	127775

Hi wmnish!

Your dragons are super cool! I am wondering, what kind of tools do you use? What paper, pens or markers, coloured pencils and so on. The colours look very saturated, and seem to have a wax crayon texture. It reminds me of a set that I have that are so beautiful that I'm unable to use them without drawing the entire rainbow.

I'd love to hear about your process, you have a unique style.

Also how do you capture your work? Do you use a scanner, or a digital camera?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast