Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dec '20/ Jan '21 Lite Challenge: Albion

Default Dec '20/ Jan '21 Lite Challenge: Albion

Since this is a map anything kind of month I thought I'd try and do a map of Albion, mythical Britain in the time of the fey.

Inspiration coming in from Kellerica's dark maps for the style.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	albion.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	127729

Welcome to the Challenge QED42. I like the colors & textures you are using.

Thanks Bogie. I spent forever on this border, what do you all think? Added some mountains too

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	albion2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	127734

Hi there QED24!

The border pattern looks neat. It does need corner pieces though, as in this format it kind of makes the eye escape off the edge (I'm not sure how to word this precisely, but essentially the corners of the page draw attention away from the map itself).

Adding just simple rectangles with the same outline as main border should fix that, especially if you want to spend most of the time on the map itself at this point.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    The border pattern looks neat. It does need corner pieces though, as in this format it kind of makes the eye escape off the edge (I'm not sure how to word this precisely, but essentially the corners of the page draw attention away from the map itself)
    You worded it exactly right, it creates an opening where you instinctively seek 'the next panel', insert any "resolving" element to it to fix.

It looks nice.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

The mountains are coming out really nice.
    I was just about to say something about the corners and then saw that Tiana & Kisachik had beat me to it.
    Anything will work, but I would fill the corners with a circular pattern or emblem to break up the rectangularness of it.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. I added in the corner boxes, that was pretty easy.

I then spent the best part of two hours placing locations I'm not happy with and adding labels I don't like either to avoid doing rivers which I probably should have done first anyway. Blah. So a disaster of an evening really.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	albion4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	127746

A disaster of an evening would have been the one where you spent those 2 hours watching TV shows.

You can always come back and tweak the labels, especially after you walk away from a project and look at it later with a fresh perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    A disaster of an evening would have been the one where you spent those 2 hours watching TV shows.

You can always come back and tweak the labels, especially after you walk away from a project and look at it later with a fresh perspective.
    No, a true disaster is my evening tonight, in spite of having much to do, I fell asleep in front of the TV for 3 hours, missed most of the show I had started watching and didn't get anything done. At least I had a nice nap.

Good advice K!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	albion6.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	127750

So an update after sleeping on it.

Do you think the location labels and icon colours fit with the rest of the map? I'm not sure but I couldn't find a colour I liked for the labels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast