Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2021 Challenge: Here Be Dragons

Wip January 2021 Challenge: Here Be Dragons

“We decided that such a land was best to leave to the old charts, to remain unmapped and to merely warn that here, out on the bleak precipice of the world, be dragons.”

I've always had a love of dragons so there was no way I was going to miss this challenge. Whether I finish it or not though, we'll see...

Design wise I was stuck for a while however I did know I wanted a place dragons would feel at home and also probably a place that there were very few, if any, humans. I turned to media for inspiration but I knew a lair or something small scale wasn't something I would be comfortable doing. I did have fun with Ruskwood but wanted a more regional map again. The main inspiration that hit me actually came from the 'test drive' scene from How To Train Your Dragon, and the movement between the sea stacks. The second was the phrase "here be dragons" to denote a dangerous edge of the world (despite the lack of historic prevalence of the phrase). So I wanted a shattered land of sea stacks and towering cliffs that led to a great waterfall that spilled out over the edge of the world. After some more inspiration grabbing I had a few rough concepts and a sketch followed from there.
    Stylewise I am enjoying the painterly-esque style so will be working with that. Below is what I have so far. There will be a forest in the central valley and tiers of waterfalls falling out over the edge. I'm still undecided on human settlement but if I do I might add one to the larger island on the upper right.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	herebedragonswip.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	127730

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

I feel you. The phrase "Here be dragons" always awakened something in me that wanted to conquer fell beasts and slay evil. I can't wait to see how this progresses.

This is an awesome concept, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

I hope you're listening to that "test flight" track on repeat; it's great music.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very promising ! I love the whole idea... the edge of the world is gonna be a great attraction for the map !

You wanna know what one of the best part of these challenges is? When people find an unusual approach to the subject, just like this. Hope you have a chance to finish this up with some more details, has a lot of promise to be interesting.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I hope you're listening to that "test flight" track on repeat; it's great music.
    I definitely have been

Still working on this. I've got the sea all done. Still have the grass, forests, texturing and shading of the cliffs and land to do yet but hopeful I can get it done before the end of the month,
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	HBD wip.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	127904

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very nice job with the sea !
    I love your choice of colors, too.
    It's an unusual perspective of a unusual map, but that's the whole performance of your work and it's looking very good !

Flat-earthers would go nuts over this one. I've always enjoyed your style Ifrix, your lineless approach always catches my eye. I hope this one gets finished for the end of the challenge?

IR

I'm not that familiar with How to Train Your Dragon; the film that sprung to my mind when viewing this was Erik the Viking. Cool idea. Fits the theme of the challenge well. Hope you finish this one.

Cheers,
    Arsheesh

Ok, got this finished. Happy with how it turned out, though may return and tweak and add some stuff after the challenge is over.
    I did play around with adding labels however for the theme of the uncharted edge of the world it seemed like nothing really fit so made the decision to leave them out

And thanks for the comments - I am enjoying this style. I do need to work out how to do it faster though XD

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Here Be Dragons.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	128108

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast