Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: January 2021 challenge : The premature fall of the city of Karaz Karkom

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wip January 2021 challenge : The premature fall of the city of Karaz Karkom

Argh... I really don't have much free time, but the temptation is too strong... Can you imagine ? Dragons !!!! How not to try to do something with this theme?
    So I'm really going to try to do something not too bad, not too hasty... and finished... but it's not guaranteed. Normally at the very end of the month, I should have some time, but it will be really tight ...

Here's what's on my mind: A few years ago, a clan of dwarves started digging a new town in the mountains. They chose a well-guarded entrance, by waterfalls and a river... and they started their digging
    But, of course... their legendary aversion to the liquid element didn't lead them to explore the rivers and waterfalls... they didn't see that a cave entrance was hidden behind a curtain of water, and that this cave was the occasional home of a big fat red dragon!

One day, as the said dragon was taking a little nap in his cave, snuggled at the bottom of the cave, he snored louder than usual and collapsed a wall and found himself facing a team of dwarves digging their way to enlarge the soon-to-be city... terror took hold of the diggers and soon of all the inhabitants. >They fled as fast as their short legs would allow... they barely took the time to close the big door of the new settlement, and here was the deserted city of Karaz Karkom !

What happiness for our dragon! Even if he can't access the whole city still under construction, he was able to seize the dwarves' treasure and made it his favourite layer throughout his whole territory ! He goes on, as before, naping and snoring, but on a much confortable matress !

Here's the sketch of what I'll try to do...
    A map in Tavernier's style of the place of the "encounter", with the waterfalls, the main gate of the city, the hidden cavern, some parts of the new city, and the treasure hall, with it's new occupant
    I realise the different levels and the hidden entrance are gonna be a challenge... but, after all, isn't it the whole point of this ?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67AD06F7-6134-4465-8A7E-40E243712BFC.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	127753
    Last edited by - JO -; 01-13-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Love the design so far. Definitely going to keep an eye on this.
    Is that Smaug down there? Haha, love the LOTR inspiration.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Love the design so far. Definitely going to keep an eye on this.
    Is that Smaug down there? Haha, love the LOTR inspiration.
    Thanks !
    The dwarves dug too deep and too far... definitely inspired by the Moria ! ��

What aversion to liquid? I heard the opposite, that dwarves can often be found in taverns showing their love for many kinds of liquids...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    What aversion to liquid? I heard the opposite, that dwarves can often be found in taverns showing their love for many kinds of liquids...
    Excellent !

I should have specified that the liquid in question was water.... Pure.... straight from the high mountain springs... so: clean...
    Is my story more credible with these details?

Some progress with the inking...

I know it looks strange on the left, but it should be clearer when I’ll draw the two waterfalls (I hope...)

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACD4C9F8-3B10-4DE6-862D-4ED77BF6AE10.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	127821

Looks very cool. The only problem I think is that it makes me want to see the rest of the city too

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

I really can't wait to see the finished product

This is looking killer already. Would love to do these kind of maps myself, but I just don't have a knack (or the patience) for them.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

The tracks don't seem to match the dragon's paws. Did he get so fat on all the dwarf loot? They must have had a pantry stocked for years. Is there more to the story?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast