Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2021 Challenge: It Still Burns Where They Fell

Map January 2021 Challenge: It Still Burns Where They Fell

A rocky planet was struck by two galactic sized space dragons locked in battle and their plummet to the ground triggered a chain reaction which still burns to this day.

What should this planet be named? Draconis was already taken in this challenge XD

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	it burns where they fell.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	127790

I used a sun from my latest Roll20 kit, a Solar System Maker, but made original planets for the decoration out of the map I made, doing both the front and back side. I didn't do 3D art for it, I just distorted it with the fish eye filter to get the planet cutouts.

I might add some more decorative veins of lava, maybe a compass, I would like to integrate the lore into it somehow but I don't have any good ideas for how to add a lore panel. This is kind of like sci-fantasy, so I'd like to work with that. I was thinking of putting draconic text in the frame runner but maybe it's best with that breathing room.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Magnificent !
    I love the way you took the "dark" option and led it to the end... that makes a very consistent illustration ! And the touch of lights (sun and planets) are small but very present (and so beautiful)

Thank you, Jo! Yes, lighting is so fun to play with, isn't it. I did lean heavily into the darkness for this one... I experimented with adding a compass thing and a bit of lore...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dragon map.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	127795

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Awesome concept! Makes me think of the fossils they find of dinosaurs locked in combat.

For names, one of the first things that comes to my mind is something like Wyrmfall. If that's not your vibe, I suggest looking at the names of surface features of the volcanic moon Io for inspiration, or locations in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and their associated legends. But also, "It Still Burns Where They Fell" sounds pretty dang cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Awesome concept! Makes me think of the fossils they find of dinosaurs locked in combat.
    I was inspired by that and also the Hell Hole in Turkmenistan and the Cadamen Coal Mine fire.

I'm down with the name. I altered it a teeny bit so now it's Wyrmfel. That is the only change at this point.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dragon map.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	127808

I really like how metal 'it still burns where they fell' sounds so that's just gonna be the thread title.

I dig it. Both the map and the names. But, is it Metallica metal or something more orchestra (think Queensryche) metal?
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    I dig it. Both the map and the names. But, is it Metallica metal or something more orchestra (think Queensryche) metal?
    I'm thinking The Malediction Fields.

Thank you!

That works too.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The name is much better that way... and the text is a nice addition to the whole. I also like the compass and the acronym in the lower right-hand corner. It's a very successful composition, which is very strong, very present... Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    The name is much better that way... and the text is a nice addition to the whole. I also like the compass and the acronym in the lower right-hand corner. It's a very successful composition, which is very strong, very present... Well done!
    Thanks, Jo, I like the sort of alien design of the compass... it is a great composition...

but I did finally add what I wanted to it which was more work on defining the actual mountains, a day/night shift, and some more bits of fire. hopefully it doesn't break the composition of the only subdued thing I've ever made. Subdued dragons. Ahhhh.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dragon-map.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	491.2 KB 
ID:	128082

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast