Thread: Help with 3d modeling globe

Help Help with 3d modeling globe

Hey guys,

I am new to the cartographer's guild, and also mapmaking in general. I just started making some maps using Wilbur for a height map and a very helpful tutorial by Azelor for climates.
    Now my goal was to use the height map and model a globe in blender. I have some knowledge of blender, so I got around to doing that, but I encountered a small problem. My map is in equirectangular project, and the while blender does support the projection, I still encounter a pole pinching problem at the poles. So I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions?

Is there any way that I could modify my map to get rid of the pole pinching, maybe a program that automates this? Or is there a workaround for this?

Wilbur is a simple 2D paint program that has some weird bits and pieces that lets it pretend to do things that it's not really qualified for. It's also broken
    The simplest way to get rid of pole pinching with widely-available tools is to paint your polar map areas on an appropriate projection (like an equal-area polar projection), use a tool to unproject the newly-painted map to equirectangular, and then assemble the pieces together. The most correct way, of course, would be to use a paint tool that is aware of projections and warps the brush so that it's the correct shape onscreen, but Wilbur ain't one of those. If you use Wilbur, you get to spend a lot of time pretending (pretending that the bugs aren't too bad and that the developer will get around to fixing them, for the most part).
    There are a number of reprojection tools out there to go from one projection or another to equirectangular, but a simple one is http://www.fracterra.com/ReprojectImage.zip (the same place you got Wilbur). It unfortunately only works with 8-bit images and can be a bit twitchy to work with, but that's often the price of free software.

You can do that in blender. I can provide a template .blend with a fitting UV map.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Avu6f-3AFevli4kC...YcdLg?e=Q6WqD6