Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blender 3D Dungeon - Help with the workflow

That was spot on, thanks a lot.
    In the last version i added a volume for dust. Which is, of course, noise. So adding extra noise and then denoise had to go wrong.

So here we go: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeoncyclestransparent.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	128202

Still some details to work on, like the fire. Also i added some 3 spot very low moonlight. there is a light casting hard shadows and i cant find it.

Looking good. Although I think you are right the hard shadow could be a problem. If you have a sun light that could be causeing it. If it's all just spots I would delete them until I found the offender. Might be better off with area lights anyways.

Did you put bevel modifiers on any of the stuff? It's common practice to use bevel modifiers to help soften up the hard edges you can get in 3D modeling which doesn't really exist in real life.

I used the bevel tool in edit mode and tested all the tools there. For sculpting i tested some of the modifiers. its all a bit confusing, like having a "mirror modifier" or simply right click > mirror.
    Happy that i worked myself through the nodes, which are very strong.

The modelling itself is really basic stuff, the light took a lot more time to set up for the render. The dark stains all over are not on purpose but i accepted them as a nice effect in the end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeonisotransparent.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	985.4 KB 
ID:	128244

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeonzaxis3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	128245

I have some other projects for Blender in mind. But my head is smoking, guess i will be doodeling cats for a week to cool down.

Thank you for help and motivation.

I think that looks good. Nicely done!

The reason to use modifiers as opposed to the tools in edit mode is simply that modifiers are non-destructive/non-permanent, and if you want them to be permanent you can apply them. This offers the advantages of generally keeping the mesh lower poly count and easier to edit and alter. It also lets you see what is going on or going to occur without actually doing anything to the mesh. Sometimes you want to use the edit tools sometimes the modifiers but more often than not a combination of both.

Another good thing is that you are essentially building up an asset library which can be shared with different Blender files. For instance if you wanted to use a chest, or one of the lamp stands in a new scene you can append them from this blend file whilst in object mode (under the file menu), and they'll come in with all the material shaders, modifiers etc. Indeed you can append just materials or other blocks of data without bringing anything else in.

Anyways, enjoy the cat break

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think that looks good. Nicely done!

The reason to use modifiers as opposed to the tools in edit mode is simply that modifiers are non-destructive/non-permanent, and if you want them to be permanent you can apply them. This offers the advantages of generally keeping the mesh lower poly count and easier to edit and alter. It also lets you see what is going on or going to occur without actually doing anything to the mesh. Sometimes you want to use the edit tools sometimes the modifiers but more often than not a combination of both.

Another good thing is that you are essentially building up an asset library which can be shared with different Blender files. For instance if you wanted to use a chest, or one of the lamp stands in a new scene you can append them from this blend file whilst in object mode (under the file menu), and they'll come in with all the material shaders, modifiers etc. Indeed you can append just materials or other blocks of data without bringing anything else in.

Anyways, enjoy the cat break
    For the modifiers, that absolutely makes sense. I will have to watch a lot tutorials.
    The asset lib is really handy, also i think you can use different assest as instances, so i would not have 20 chest but only one on different positions. when changing the original, they all change. Very mathematically. Basic understanding of programming helps a lot in Blender.

I have seen your work on Art Station, beautiful. The sculpting in Blender is awesome and very intuitive, so much fun to play around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12