Thread: Hyacinth: A Free 19th Century Mountain Brush Set for Fantasy Maps

Link Hyacinth: A Free 19th Century Mountain Brush Set for Fantasy Maps

Hey, hey, hey, it’s been a while. (Feel like I've had to say that a few times.) Sorry for my absence, hope everyone is keeping busy and staying safe and healthy. I’ve still been working through book edits on my end, but I managed to free up a little time and today I’m releasing Hyacinth, my latest free brush set.

Excited to share it with everyone.

This mountain-focused set is my first coming from 19th-Century sources. As one would imagine, it's another transitional hybrid pairing a more modern style with an older topographical approach. Based on an 1828 caravan map created by the archimandrite monk Nikita Bichurin who took on the monastic name "Hyacinth," the original map showed the road from Lhasa, Tibet, to Chengdu, China. One can see the remnants of the hill profile approach to elevation, but the landforms are beginning to adopt some of the aspects commonly found in hachure relief.

As with all my other sets, these are distributed under a CC0 license, which means they’re free to use for personal or commercial work, no attribution required! Let me know what you think!

You can read more about Hyacinth and download the set over on my blog.

Some of the symbols:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyacinthsampler1.png 
Views:	385 
Size:	845.9 KB 
ID:	128033

Name:	hyacinthsampler2.png 
Views:	338 
Size:	858.6 KB 
ID:	128034

Hyacinth in use:

Name:	hyacinthdecorated.png 
Views:	294 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	128035
    Last edited by KMAlexander; 01-28-2021 at 03:43 PM. Reason: fixing link

These look seriously great. Just had a look at your other brush sets as well and they are really impressive!

Thanks so much! I hope you find 'em useful.

The map looks insanely beautiful, totally immerses you in the past!!!

Would love to use these in Wonderdraft but can't since they are in an abr file. Do you have them available separately, not in an abr file?

Quote Originally Posted by aruffo3 View Post
    Would love to use these in Wonderdraft but can't since they are in an abr file. Do you have them available separately, not in an abr file?
    I don't use Wonderdraft myself, but I do include a transparent PNG and there are a few people who have taken some of my sets and converted them for Wonderdraft. I know they're available on cartographyassets.com, but I don't know if anyone has tackled this specific set.