Thread: The Sunsplinter Isles (Day 4)

The oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert.

Map The Sunsplinter Isles (Day 4)

I kinda went to town on this one but I really like how it ended up. I knew I wanted to try something that integrated the compass rose into the frame and it all grew from there. Mirroring the compass with a miniature world map helped balance it all and I really liked the 'map in a map' idea.

I definitely think this is one that would benefit from colour to really bring out the character so perhaps a job for the future.

Edit: I realise this represents my 10th ever map! I've already learnt a lot and this map a day self-challenge has really pushed me to try new things with every attempt and I can feel myself improving

All hand-drawn, roughed out in pencil and then inked; 5.5"x2.5"

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunsplinter Isles.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	869.0 KB 
ID:	128211

I'm realising this board is pretty quiet for the most part so I might post an overall view of the series when it's done to the finished maps gallery, but if you've been following along with these then thank you very much and I hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by Vulpes; 02-05-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Really nice work. I particularly like the decorative sun element at the top.

Enjoying this series of bookmarks.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Very Nice! The border especially looks great.

I wonder if a magnified portion would work, the opposite of your zoomed out portion in this one.

The oasis-hamlet of Joppa, along the far rim of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Really nice work. I particularly like the decorative sun element at the top.

Enjoying this series of bookmarks.
    Thank you I began with that and had a lot of fun building up the detail, which in turn dictated the 'sun' theme for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by TimetoDraw View Post
    Very Nice! The border especially looks great.

I wonder if a magnified portion would work, the opposite of your zoomed out portion in this one.
    Thanks! I hadn't tried a parchment look before and I think it fit quite nicely. The cogs are already turning on some kind of world map with a magnifying glass-esque feature over the top to do exactly that

Hello
    Of the series of bookmark, this one I believe is my favourite (they are all very good don't get me wrong). This has a "tarot" like feeling to me. I like it a lot