Thread: Rage of Dragons Fan Map (WIP)

Default Rage of Dragons Fan Map (WIP)

Hi everyone,

This is the start of a WIP for the setting of Evan Winter's -Rage of Dragons series. Nothing official, just a fan making a map. The books really captured my imagination and as I build up to taking on Middle Earth, I wanted to practice on something that inspires me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	128647

I laid down textures and colour, dropped in the cities, features and boundaries and got the labels done tonight. It should be noted that the original map for Evan's book was done by Tim Paul at Tor. I've provided his link here (just click on his name).

Here's how far I got this evening:

Name:	WIP2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	128652

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Looks pretty good so far! Middle Earth is a rather major milestone. Everytime I think I am close to being ready to map it I back off. Hopefully you can make it there!
    What are the red dots in the second image? Are they borders or something like that?

Hi Arimel, yes , in the original map on the inside cover, the artist designated the borders in those locations. Once I have the regional labeling on, this should be more clear.

Got a fair bit done today after work. Laid in some of the bordering, created the legend plate, added a title and added a shadowed dragon or two. Should be finished the rest by the end of the night!

Name:	Rage of Dragons v3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	128674

Managed to finish it off last and sent a copy to the Author, Evan Winter. Was overjoyed to get a big thumbs up from him on the recreation.

Name:	Rage of Dragons Map.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	128677