Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***April 2021 Challenge - Cyberpunk 2021***

Default ***April 2021 Challenge - Cyberpunk 2021***

The year is 2021. Nation states act as puppet governments to serve the interests of a de facto new order. A technocratic consortium of corporations now controls the day to day lives of ordinary people. Rival tribal gangs clash in the streets as cities burn. Martial law and invasive security measures have been put in place in many parts of the world. Fear mounts as pandemics sweep over the earth. There is a looming global threat of biological and nuclear Armageddon as competing oligarchs hurl the world into a new cold war era. Advances in genetics have led to an emerging market in designer babies and military grade super soldiers. The acidification of the oceans and desertification of much of the earth's habbital land have led to wars over control of scarce resources such as clean water. Increasingly human interaction is mediated through devices that act as gateways to a digital simulation.

These are a few of the depictions of a near future dystopian society penned by science fiction authors such as Phillip Dick and William Gibson a generation ago. Uncanny how close many of these depictions are to our present circumstances. Your challenge this month is map some aspect of this cyberpunk world. You are granted free creative control over the type of map. You could for instance create a world map showing the new geo-political boundaries of corporate states. Or you might instead wish to create a battle map of a robotics factory. Entirely up to you.

A word of caution however. Given the politically charged environment in which we now live, the depiction of real world political figures, parties or news organizations has the potential to spark controversy and infighting here at the Guild. While political and social commentary is built into the genre of cyberpunk, and therefore not discouraged, try not to be too on the nose about anything that could prove to be a hot button issue. I don't wish to give a laundry list of guidelines on this, but I would urge you to use your best judgement. The challenge shall close at the end of April and the winner (to be chosen by a popular vote) shall be awarded a new shiny digital compass. Also, as always:

1. Be sure to title your threads: April 2021 Challenge: <<your title here>>
    2. Use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before EVERY work-in-progress image you post so that the image will show up in the thumbnails
    3. Only maps begun on or after today are eligible to be entered into the challenge (no prior work allowed)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

A little disappointed to see a sci-fi theme for the second month in a row... I'm gonna pass on this one.
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    A little disappointed to see a sci-fi theme for the second month in a row... I'm gonna pass on this one.
    You could map the last remaining organic land park. A fantasyland theme park. An overland map showing the borders of the enclave of naturalists who are trying to keep a natural world alive as civilization encroaches. Be creative! I really like this one.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    There are many fantasy worlds that are based around fallen civilizations, could do one that is just about to step over the non existent line between sci-fi to fantasy.

----------------------------------------

Anyways this sounds like a good one Arsheesh, I wish I wasn't in the middle of moving so I that could focus on it, but I think I still may take a swing.

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

I can't wait to see everyone's entries.

Every neon light in the map is worth an extra point!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

I wasn't compaining about the theme itself, sci-fi just doesn't reach me as much as other subjects. I'm sure you'll all find incredible ideas!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

I feel the same way as Mimine. Sci-fi is hard. And this theme is probably the darkest one yet. Alien invasions and Halloween horrors can't match self-destruction.

Half of the last month's entries were not even maps but fun and/or pretty illustrations. Maybe we just live in times when people have had enough of negativity, and our creative spirits take us on these rebellious journeys to the unexpected?

I hope the next month's theme is sunshine, flowers and baby animals.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Half of the last month's entries were not even maps but fun and/or pretty illustrations. Maybe we just live in times when people have had enough of negativity, and our creative spirits take us on these rebellious journeys to the unexpected?
    I feel like you are taking away from all the work and skill that went into those "fun and/or pretty illustrations". Surely very zoomed-in depictions are still maps in their own right, each was fulfilling its own function and giving the audience information. The joy of creativity. I think we are all in need of a good dose of positivity so you may be right there!
    Last edited by TimetoDraw; 04-07-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Yes, you're right, I don't know why I worded it like that. I meant to say they didn't look like traditional maps. You know, with grids, compasses, typical landscapes with typical elements. I like when artists experiment with unorthodox ideas, but those were so unexpected and original that I couldn't even pick a favourite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast