Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 2021 Challenge: Earth 2374

Default April 2021 Challenge: Earth 2374

Well here goes then...

Not too sure how on or off topic this may be (more of the latter methinks), but here is the start of a map of the Earth of the future - possibly 300-400 years hence, not really decided on that yet.

The battle for climate change has been well and truly lost, leading to runaway warming and the associated massive sealevel rise. Catastrophic flooding in many highly populated areas of the World have led to unprecedented human migrations, and the associated tensions. Conflicts have been much more common than they are today, and national borders have been redrawn on a massive scale.

In order to defend themselves against each other, countries have been forced into alliances with previous enemies, treaties have been drawn up that would have previously been unthinkable, and the nations have mostly coalesced into a few large Federations of states.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Globe.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	129214

Ops... no Antartic continent at all.... and at least Scotland achieve his indipendence from England.
    Good start.

Shouldn't Greenland have melted to get that much sea level rise? The bedrock below central Greenland is below sea level even now and things won't get better as sea level rises. There are some lovely bedrock DEMs out there that would be good for doing the sea level rise thing. Plus, you'd be able to get the polar island chain that would be Antarctica on there.

Hmm, yes, I think you are both correct. Back to the drawing board then...

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

You know, I've found that a recurring pattern on these apocalyptic maps is that Florida (where I happen to be from) is always nonexistent Can't wait to see the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by mapmage View Post
    You know, I've found that a recurring pattern on these apocalyptic maps is that Florida (where I happen to be from) is always nonexistent Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Ha!, you need to get some mountains. Flat is under-rated!

Righto, completely reworked the coastlines, simplified it a bit (it is a political map, after all).

Given it's 300-400 years in the future a lot has happened politically, for example:

North America:
    • Greenland has lost about 30% of it’s land area to a large inland sea.
    • After massive disagreements with the Federal Government, Alaska, after being threatened with being returned to Russia, opted for independence (with the exception of the Panhandle). It has since aligned itself with the far Eastern Asian breakaway Republics of…..
    • Banks Island, the Queen Elizabeth Islands and Baffin Islands broke away from Canada to join the Arctic treaty lands.
    • Much of Florida has disappeared beneath the waves (sorry, Mapmage!)

Central America
    • Most of the Islands of the West Indies have joined with what remains of Cuba, and formed a new democratic republic, ….
    • Belize has been much reduced in size, and a large portion of the Yucatan has been lost.

South America
    • Venezuela has split into two countries, North and South.
    • Ecuador has been absorbed into Peru.
    • Paraguay has lost half of its area to Brazil, which has in turn lost a lot of area due to the flooding of the Amazon basin, as well as incursions from the North and West, resulting in land lost to Peru, Colombia, Guyana, Suriname and French Guina (now Novo Guiana).
    • Britain (minus Scotland), have somehow managed to hang onto the Falkland Islands and South Georgia, despite repeated attempts by Argentina to re-occupy them.

Name:	New World.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	129268

Lots of tidying up and labelling to do - and the colours will probably be much more muted.

The only thing I see that might be a little off is that the continental portion of north america (along the western coast in particular) doesn't seem to be affected by rising sea levels. I know from one of my previous maps, areas of Oregon and Washington state out at the coast slip under water after about 100 meters or so of rising seas, creating islands where the coastal mountain range lies. Other than that, interesting approach, so looking forward to what comes next.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    The only thing I see that might be a little off is that the continental portion of north america (along the western coast in particular) doesn't seem to be affected by rising sea levels. I know from one of my previous maps, areas of Oregon and Washington state out at the coast slip under water after about 100 meters or so of rising seas, creating islands where the coastal mountain range lies. Other than that, interesting approach, so looking forward to what comes next.
    I see what you mean, however I think here I am looking at realistic possible sea level rise, which, if all of the ice caps melted, would be in the region of 75 metres.

Anyway, lots more labelling done - I think basically everything West of the Atlantic is done, as well as Antarctica.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	New World.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	129355

I really need to make it a bit more cyber-punk though. It currently looks like what I would expect to find in a school textbook. Maybe need to look at some much darker colours, and have the text light...

Could a CL please change my title to Earth 2374. Thanks
    Last edited by Tonquani; 04-17-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Messing around with colours a bit...

What do you think, is it a bit much?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Earth 2374 black.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	129368

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast