Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apr/May '21 Lite Challenge: Map this Shape

Default Apr/May '21 Lite Challenge: Map this Shape

Apr/May '21 Lite Challenge: Map this Shape

The Challenge for last month was very non-specific, so this month we will do the opposite.
    I am providing a shape and I want you to make a landmass map out of it. Scale is your choice. This could be anything from an island to a continent. You can put as much detail on it as you want, but I would like to see lots of details. If it is a continent, then mountains rivers forests roads cities & towns should all be on the map.

Please remember to title each thread: Apr/May '21 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also remember to preface each image you want to show up in the thumbnail scraper
    with: ### Latest WIP ### (If you don't, your map won't show up for the voters at
    voting time, which might hurt your chances. ) Try using the WIP Icon to make it nice and easy.

Please note: If you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

The challenge will end on or about the 14th of May, after which we'll have 3 days of voting. The winner of this month's challenge will receive, a circular silver compass, demonstrating his or her creativity.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses,
    1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started on or after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished, unless you start over from scratch.

DEADLINE: End of day, May 14th

Here is the Shape:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shape33.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	129377

And here it is reversed with a transparent background:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shape33-reversed.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	129378
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-20-2021 at 01:02 AM.

This looks interesting, last mont i could not make myself part of the challenge because of lack of time but i hope that this month things will be more calm.

To the image itself, can we redraw the shape just to smoothen the edges or its strict that we have to use this image?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Looks like another fun one. I'll see what I can do with it!

Is it possible to change the shape a little? Fe. split a piece as an island with a narrow strait?
    Is it possible to edit the edge (coastline)?

Hi guys!

This is a repeat challenge. This one's usually quite popular, and people get really creative with it. All you have to do is use the shape. This time it's specified that it has to be a landmass, so not an area map like a cave or a forest patch. But you can redraw and modify the shape a bit, smooth the edges, rotate it, split it, put it in perspective, it's all been done before. I've seen maps where the shape was inverted, so the land is the outside, and the shape itself is water, but in this case it's clearly stated we have to make a landmass out of the shape.

One time we had a choice of a couple of shapes, and some people used both. In the end, it's mostly about getting something cool out of it within the given time period. Don't worry too much about adhering too strictly to the shape. The shape is only the beginning.

If you want to do a paper map, but don't have a printer to trace the shape, you can use a grid to copy the shape onto the paper, and it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. It's not said anywhere "do not modify the shape at all", and I know Bogie would not enforce such a creativity stifling rule. Just make sure the shape is still recognizable in your drawing, and have fun.

I hope this helps.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KtW has the right of it. Usually the shape can be modified in small ways but it still must be a recognizable focus point of the map. Before going hog wild, however, I would wait until Mr. B shows up to confirm things and/or add in any other specifics. If time permits, I might try to jump in on this, but, as usual, my work schedule is crazy, so will have to wait and see.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Pretty much the important thing here is that the adherence to perceived rules as well as the "mappiness" of the result will be judged by the voters at the end of the challenge. If voters can clearly see the original shape, including with elaboration, I expect that they'll be happy. Reframing the shape will probably happen to most maps because the bounds on this shape are pretty close the edge of the shape itself.
    An important note here is that there have been a lot of pretty illustrations over the years that just lacked a feeling of "map". A map provides information about what's on the screen, not just pretty pictures. There have been basic sketch-type maps, lovely compositions that included a map in the image, and lots of other ways to look at the problem. Don't worry about rules, worry about getting it done!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

For those working on paper there is another, slightly easier, way to get the map from the screen to the paper if you do not have a printer. If you open the image and zoom in so that the image covers your computer screen and put the brightness of your screen as high as it can go in a dark room you should be able to see the lines through the paper. It is slightly rough but it would allow tracing and it is how I have gotten the image down in the past.

And I had not noticed the landmass specification. It was most likely what I was going to do but I think I need to go back to 5th grade and start reading the question before preparing my answer .

Hooray!I just love this challenge!
    His Lordship, the Grand Bogermeister, is being more specific this year with the kinds of entries he wants for the Map This Shape Challenge. Tis true, indeed. But if real, mappy kinds of maps are what the Bogieman wants this year; by George, I say we give it to him!
    My only question is... what happened to the other 32 shapes?

Hey guys! I agree with pretty much everything you have all said! Use the shape as a landmass, clean it up, modify it, be as wonderfully creative as you want, just create a map that has some recognizable version of this shape in it.

I am so happy to see that this is getting so much interest, Thanks everyone!

And MB: The other 32 shapes were all part of the Rorschach Test that I failed.
    I would have been here sooner, but it takes a long time to chew through the leather straps.
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-21-2021 at 12:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast