Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Various maps

Wip Various maps

Hi! I'm creating this thread to post all my works as I réalisé them. Feel welcome and even encouraged to post commentaries and critics, counsels and so on!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210406_173720.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	129381

This one is a try of representing various regions at a continental scale. I did try to make a border to the map itself but the style doesn't really fit with the style of sketching.

This one is the beginning of a big map featuring the Kingdom of Logres, the mythical realm of King Arthur. I want to make it look like and old medieval map, with gothic lettering and faded colors.

Name:	IMG_20210404_111603.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	129382

This is the early beginning, I will post the WIP soon as I can continue.

I don't know anymore what to do with this map. I don't know how to fill it. Mountains and forests or just cities and maybe roads, like old medieval maps?

Name:	IMG_20210504_182118.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	446.5 KB 
ID:	129597

I struggle with the calligraphy. This is so frustratingly long.

So today I wanted to do more. My Kingdom of Logres is not progressing well so I started a new one. I wanted to make another try at portulan map.

Name:	IMG_20210504_113704.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	129598
    This time, I did the compasses first. I drawed the lines before the coastlines.

Name:	IMG_20210504_182210.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	534.2 KB 
ID:	129599
    Coastlines and rivers done. I know this is not the procedure, but I wanted to see some color before starting the labeling. So I discreetly dyed the whole map with light coffee and tea. Then, I underlined all the exterior coastlines with blue water coloring.

Name:	IMG_20210504_182141.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	350.7 KB 
ID:	129600
    My wife convinced me that painting all the seas in blue was a better idea. So here I am.

I'm really pleased of the result so far. I wanted to do something quick, so my compasses have only 12 angles. I guess that the scale of the map could require more but it's not bad like that.

Labelling to do know.

Your maps are really good Skaald. I really like the colour of the sea in the last one.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

These maps look really good. The blue shading looks really good and, although the calligraphy may take a while, it looks fantastic.

New project, again!

I'm really nostalgic OF an online game I was playing ten years ago, so to exorcize thar feeling, I'm currently working on a map of Tyria, from Guild Wars 1. This is how it's going so far, I'm really pleased with the result, especially the compass and the massive mountain chain in the middle.

Name:	IMG_20210605_170801.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	130006

Labeling is going to be done based on the runic alphabet appearing in some places in the game.

If someone have a good tutorial about drawing hills and sand dunes, I could use it!

Look at how other people have drawn hills and try copying them on a separate piece of paper until you find a style that works! It's a little too simple to do a proper tutorial for... it's either just an upside down U shape with some shading on one side, or an upside down U shape except a bit more peaky, with an S shape to indicate the outflow of the dune. And when I say a U, it's a bit more spread out than a U, imagine if you filled a U up with sand and now it's bulging kind of.

Much simpler than a mountain, you only do one shading bit on most hills, and the only difference between a hill and a dune is that a dune has a curved peak instead of a rounded top, and a dune's shading will be more of an S.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Labeling is partly done and the mountains are rising.

Name:	IMG_20210607_075429.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	130019

Détail on the big wall in Ascalon.

Name:	IMG_20210607_122547.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	130021

I only have the camera of the phone, so that's why my pictures aren't really good.
    Last edited by Skaald; 06-07-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast