Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Scribbler's Guide to Octerraca

Default The Scribbler's Guide to Octerraca

Octerraca, or the Eight Lands, is a project I've been working on since about 2009. The original map has since been zoomed in and had a few much needed reinterpretation of rivers and geography, and is now approaching a new horizon.

My sister gifted me this notebook a few holidays ago, and it's really cool because no matter where you are in the binding, it will lay flat. Perfect for mapping, I've decided to use it in conjunction with The Avori Lowlands to flesh out my former regional project, while producing maps for the region's cities and towns.

Finished Projects:
    Sledgeburrow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Scribbler's Journal.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.79 MB 
ID:	129385

The overall model of this sketchbook is to disconnect myself from the idea of perfectionism that has plagued my progress as an artist for a long time. I've begun to realize the hindering factor it holds in my art, so I'm aiming to change my approach.

I want to bring speed to my process, while not sweating the small stuff, but maintaining the cleanliness of penmanship that I hold so dear, so here goes.

Name:	Sledgeburrow WIP #1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	129386

"The town of Sledgeburrow began as a small trade hub dealing with the Sledgeburrow clan of dwarves that emerged from the western adjacent mountains shortly after the fall of the Auzari. Their mithril wares and jewelry were coveted by the sound mages to the south, as well as the academia driven sorcerers of the elven factions to the north, and so the clan flourished.

A dark period in their history during the ascent of the Trivium drove the clan underground. With the arrival of the greed driven humans, they closed the gates of Sledgeburrow for nearly 200 years, leaving the encampment an abandoned heap taken back by nature that simply served as a rest stop for caravans and storysowers. After the implosion of the empire known as Triv, the clan was forced above the sub-terrain by the chaos wrought by the Magiclysm. Emerging into a new world, they brought stories of horror in The Deeps, claiming access tunnels to the most ancient of dwarven corridors once closed off now wrenched open.

In a cruel trick of fate, the doors once sealed to the world above, now seal the world above from the horrors below, so proclaimed in Sledgehammer lore & song."

-----

I've got a lot to do still, but I started this just a few days ago, so I'm very happy with the progress, especially having the roads mapped out already.

I think the idea behind the town is that mostly humans occupy it now, and the remaining dwarves of the Sledgeburrow clan really hate that, due to their history. So while it serves as the north-most trade hub between the Mithral Throne (lots of dwarves) to the south, and Praxia (mostly humans) to the north, the climate of the town itself is tumultuous. Also, the big hook in the town is "The Sealed Halls of Sledgeburrow", which just has a great ring to it.

I wanted to let my inhibitions run wild with this project, I think I'm doing it right?

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 06-23-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

lovely penmanship - and it is nice to have a notebook with you so you can always draw when inspiration hits. Good luck with the project
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That looks good, thanks for sharing.

I like both the map and your art supply collection.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

A great start here and this is definitely a thread I will follow! I like the mountains in the image to the left of sledgeburrow. I am not sure I have seen that design before.

Edit: just saw the other post on that map, should have made that second comment there
    Last edited by Arimel; 04-22-2021 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    lovely penmanship - and it is nice to have a notebook with you so you can always draw when inspiration hits. Good luck with the project
    Thanks tilt! I take my art out with me a lot, you never know when inspiration will strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    That looks good, thanks for sharing.

I like both the map and your art supply collection.
    Thanks Kisachik, glad you like it!

Those are my travel cases, the pen cloth roll-up is awesome. My mom got it for me this past birthday, it came with colored pencils of some off brand, I had the thought occur to me to try my liners in it, and tada!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    A great start here and this is definitely a thread I will follow! I like the mountains in the image to the left of sledgeburrow. I am not sure I have seen that design before.

Edit: just saw the other post on that map, should have made that second comment there
    No biggie, I appreciate the comment all the same, Arimel! The watercolor over pencil worked perfectly in that instance, I rather love that map.

I swear I saw mountains done like that somewhere ages ago, and I remember it making my want to try overland mapping, as I had only dabbled in dungeon maps on graph paper up until then. I'm unsure at this point, as this was nearing twenty years ago, but I've been doing mountains like that since the inception of my cartography.

IR

PS Little update, spent a few hours getting some inking started.

Name:	PXL_20210423_145435365.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	129425
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-27-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Look at that depth of field effect. I wonder if it would work in some type of map... Probably a 3D scale model of some kind, but I haven't seen anyone do that on here. Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Look at that depth of field effect. I wonder if it would work in some type of map... Probably a 3D scale model of some kind, but I haven't seen anyone do that on here. Yet...
    A cool idea, but one I doubt I'd pursue. Personally I'm not much for digital fabrication methods.

-----

Name:	Sledgeburrow WIP #3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	129470

Working on finishing the western side before I continue into the town proper.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-29-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    The overall model of this sketchbook is to disconnect myself from the idea of perfectionism that has plagued my progress as an artist for a long time. I've begun to realize the hindering factor it holds in my art, so I'm aiming to change my approach.

I want to bring speed to my process, while not sweating the small stuff, but maintaining the cleanliness of penmanship that I hold so dear, so here goes.
    Your have really inspired me to start using a sketchbook as well, as I also struggle with perfectionism.

Although I have to admit to my eyes your map looks perfect at this point. Beautiful linework and nice coloring so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    Your have really inspired me to start using a sketchbook as well, as I also struggle with perfectionism.

Although I have to admit to my eyes your map looks perfect at this point. Beautiful linework and nice coloring so far!
    With the rough week I've had, it is really good to hear that I inspired someone to tackle their artistic demons, by trying to tackle my own. I've felt very confined within my idea of perfection, but I hope breaking out of that shell will further motivate others to break free the mental bonds that restrict them.

I appreciate the kind words, Neyasha!

IR

Hi quick update before I hit the sack.

Name:	PXL_20210429_041229839.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	129498

Boom it's a farm, I think a watch tower is in order next, but for now, zzzz...

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 04-29-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast