Thread: Apr/May '21 Lite Challenge: Mysterious Island

Default Apr/May '21 Lite Challenge: Mysterious Island

Hello Friends!

Here's the beginning of my map, it's going to be one of those floating island kind of things, cause the shape was giving me strong fantasy vibes.

I rotated it about 180-ish degrees and distorted a bit to give it a feeling of perspective. I thought the odd, almost disconnected bits would look good at the bottom, where they already resemble something like a big sky-dock to park your hot air balloons.

Right now I have water in the inner shapes, but I think I'll change it to air, since outside is air as well.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dts map wip01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	129392
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Floating island is very cool! Welcome to the challenge.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

who doesn't love floating islands - great start
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really neat so far.

Oooh, what is the island floating above is what I am wondering, I hope you tease us with a glimpse in the background / below.

I like the texture! It's cute but… not quite. I wonder what you have in mind for what's to come!
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

I always like your approach to the challenge, you must have really creative mind! Good job.

Hello Friends!

I have been busy, but not so much as to not finish my floating island.

And here it is, and if it reminds you of a postcard, good. It's about a balloon expedition that discovered this island. It appears to be uninhabited but... there are some mysterious artifacts here and there: roads, a bridge, mysterious sand pits with deep holes dug into them, and an even more mysterious dilapidated structure.

The vegetation consists mostly of grass, though there are some bushy areas. They're not very overgrown, as if planted in those specific places...

There is one lake and three rivers run towards the chasm in the middle, ending in waterfalls that constantly produce clouds of mist in that spot. Though the island is surrounded by many clouds most of the time, they swirl around, move and disappear, except in the northernmost part. It seems to have a giant rain cloud permanently anchored to it. It doesn't seem to move or disperse at all, and from time to time produces a lightning bolt.

The roads seem to mostly lead to dead ends. Those sand pits... are they old excavation sites of some sort? The balloon expedition doesn't currently have any spelunking equipment to investigate the holes. What could be down there?

One of the roads leads to what looks like a wall of giant crystals. Again, the expedition is unable to pass to the other side without climbing gear. They'd have to bring the balloon around, but this close to the giant rain cloud there are sudden gusts of wind, and it's better not to risk navigating such turbulent air.

Off in the distance there's what appears to be a rainbow... But it's unusual. It seems to be stuck in one spot, like it's a solid object, and not a prism effect. Though it looks see-through, is it actually a structure? An overgrown path leads there, perhaps it's worth investigating too.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mysterious island in the sky.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	129788

And now it's time for you to take your own balloon trip to the land of imagination and discover this island's secrets.

Excellent! Glad you got it done! It makes me think of a giant mini-Golf park!