Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guild Characters - 15 year Anniversary Project - Introduction

Default Guild Characters - 15 year Anniversary Project - Introduction

Hey everyone, are you aware that the Guild is 15 years old TODAY? Happy Birthday to us. By internet standards, we are ancient and venerable!

We can't let this anniversary pass by without a community mapping project. In the past, we've done Guild World, Guild City, and Guild Dungeon. Now we want to flesh out the world with stories. We want to create the legends, myths, songs and lore of the world of Guild, and to do that we need Guild Characters.

Picture the scene...

A tavern on a cold winter's night. A low ceiling with wooden beams, and the smell of pipe smoke in the air. In the corner, a roaring blaze, its light illuminating the darkened room. A group of travellers gathered around the hearth. Jugs of ale are passed around, and glasses clink. A low murmur of conversation fills the room.

Someone speaks...

"I heard a new tale about Bori Arcanis, and the time he visited the Ward of Chiezbehrg."

"Away with you", says another. "Everyone knows that story. Tell me one I haven't heard before."

Other voices join in, telling and re-telling the stories and legends of the great explorers, warriors and cartographers of the world of Guild.

As the talk dies down, from a dark corner a new voice is heard...

"I have a story, one that is seldom told. 'Tis a tale of adventure and peril."

"Tell us", the others demand.

The speaker takes a long sup of ale, and begins...

This is your cue, fellow mapmaker. Maps tell stories, and we want you to tell us a tale of GuildWorld. Introduce us to the characters who have roamed the streets and travelled the lands. Recreate the myths of the dangerous creatures who live in the dungeons, or in the wild places where only the fearless go. Perhaps the location of your map can be found on one of the existing GuildWorld maps, or maybe it's been lost to time, and exists only in the stories passed down.

Here are a couple of ideas to get you started. These are only suggestions, and you're not restricted to them.

-- Create a map showing a journey or the site of an adventure involving Bori Arcanis, the most renowned explorer and cartographer in the land of Guild, and the founder of Guild City.

-- Alternatively, create your own character (maybe one whose name is loosely based around your user name?), and make a map that tells a story about this character. Perhaps your character travelled with Bori for a time, and they had an adventure together? Or is your character legendary or infamous in some other way? Tell us about it through your map.

-- Create a monster, or an ancient enemy, or a mythical creature, or a God for our heroes to battle. Are they still alive, ruling from their evil lair? Were they slain by a valiant hero in a field of battle or in the grounds of an ancient castle? Show where they live(d) and create a map that tells their story.

Your map can use any existing location on Guild World/City/Dungeon, and we can add your work to the zoomy maps when you're done. However... if you'd prefer to create something that's not directly linked to the World of Guild maps, that's fine too! Just tell us some history, or create some lore with your map.

Your maps can show whatever you want, from a single room to a large area, and there are no restrictions on mapping styles or genre. You could recreate an antique map on vellum showing how an ancient explorer discovered a mysterious structure in the wild. Or show us the work of the best (or worst!) architect in Guild City. Perhaps your character has drawn the attention of law enforcement, and there are posters showing their crimes...! Our focus this time is the people of the world, and their stories. Oh, and if -at some point down the line- you'd like to create a portrait of your character, you can certainly do so, but let's do the maps first!

A few notes...

Here are links to the existing World of Guild maps, if you want to take a look

Guild World
    Guild City
    Guild Dungeon

You can find everything (including the zoomy maps) in the Community WorldBuilding folder

This project is open-ended and not time-limited in any way. If you're currently working on a challenge map, finish that first. There's no rush. But do let us know that you want to take part.

Create your mapping thread in the Guild Characters sub-folder, within Community Worldbuilding. We'll compile an index of all characters at some point down the line. Title your thread with your character's name.

Your character can be anything you want. You aren't restricted to D&D categories. So long as the character is plausible within the Guild World setting, anything goes.

If you've got questions, ask 'em in this thread.

Let's start creating!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected schattentanz's Avatar

Happy Birthday, Guild

Always happy to return and to be amazed by the treasures one can find here ..
    CatZeyeS Headquarters - home of free miniature skirmsh game rules and supplements

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I am certainly interested in this. I will have to read through some of the other guildmap areas and come up with some ideas now.

Sounds a fun idea, we'll definitely need to get working on some characters and a story then...

Oh yeah, excited for this!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Cool! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

This sounds kind of stupid but could you give me an example of how this could be different from the Guild World map of yesteryear? Sorry, this is the first time that I actually looked into one of these mapping challenges

The Guild World map focused solely on countries (we also had Guild City and Guild Dungeon, which obviously did smaller areas). This time, it's far more open. You can map anything you want, from a single building to a regional map. The point is to create some lore and to emphasise the characters of the world.

So, you could create anything from a map of a tavern owned by an infamous smuggler, or a clearing in a forest where a bard met some elves, or the site of a famous battle where General Kickass defeated the enemy, or the small village where a famous warrior was born, or the castle stronghold of a Sauron-like character etc etc etc.

I'd start by thinking about a character. Who are they, what did/do they do, what are they known for, then take it from there.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 04-24-2021 at 08:41 AM.

I'm in, the possibilities are too enticing. Interested to see what everyone comes up with, and happy anniversary!

IR

First thing that comes to mind is Bogie-Yaga. Baba-Yaga's chaotic younger brother.
    Will have to give this some thought.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast