Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apr/May '21 Lite Challenge: Land of Iwanatai

Wip Apr/May '21 Lite Challenge: Land of Iwanatai

When i saw this month challenge i knew that i must be part of this. I give this one a thought and then decided that i want to keep this shape as much original as possible, even when i was deeply concerned about overall square borders.

this time i had about four detailed sketches of the land and picked the one that i liked the most. Now i am little bit behind this WIP you can see here and i must admit that i did a mistake. Its mistake that i do across almost all of my maps. I did scale it too big (or small? Please tell me the right term here) everything on the map is tiny and therefore it has to be a lot of stuff there to fill the continent.

It is not "mistake" in the full meaning of this word, just only that i bite a big piece and i hope that i can chew it in time now.

Anyway, sorry for the uninteresting essay but i had to vent my frustration of drawing tiny little trees for 3 days straight... (they will be in next WIP)

I hope you will like it in the end if i can finish it in time.

Here is my application to the challenge.

PS. Aim for this map was full color but now i will firstly shade it in BW and then i will see and probably do color version after the competition.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iwanatai_01.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	129461

I think your mountains fit the scale really well. Perhaps it is time for a new technique for drawing smaller scale trees lol. I'm facing the same thing myself for how to render the forests.

Great first WIP, good positioning for the mountain ranges, looks very natural.

Welcome to the Challenge Andarr! You are off to a great start! The B&W looks good, but I hope you get to color it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice start and lovely mountains
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

So I am here with update on this piece... Half way through the trees i started to question my life decisions but i have already vent my frustration in other threads so i will not repeat myself.

I have experimented with the background a little, lot of textures, blendmodes etc., and i am still not satisfied with how it looks now so there will definitely be a change. I hope i will make it in time already it took more time that i expected but i am determined to make it!

Please tell me what you think.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Iwanatai_02.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	129530

I think the trees look good, but they do look like a lot of work!

Thank you Bogie,

Anyway i managed to kinda finish the land mass as i wanted to. I added more diversity to the coastline and little bit of plasticity. Mountains got upgrade aswell in the details.

Also its shaded...

Now i will probably start experimenting with color and after that some aditional shading.

I would like to hear some input on the current state so that i know if you like it or if there are some ways to improve (I know they are )

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Iwanatai_03.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	4.89 MB 
ID:	129547

Hi Andarr, till now I like your map. Forests and rivers are greats.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I like your coast/river/lake lines. They pop out really well.

The rivers almost look like barbed wire, very cool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast