Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tale of the Greywalker

Wip Tale of the Greywalker

Tale of the Greywalker

It’s been a while, a good while, since I last participated in any kind of role-playing activities, and even longer since there were any maps or dice involved. In the dying days of Prodigy and for perhaps six or seven years afterwards on AOL, I spent quite a bit of time doing chat-based (or, as we often called it, free form) role-play. For those of you that might not be familiar with this sort of thing, it might be better described as cooperative story telling.

The characters weren’t based on any particular gaming system or specific genre, and the stories were free flowing, ever evolving depending on who was participating at the time. For instance, I once played a character that thought he was nothing more than a stage magician, but, as it turned out, he had real magical abilities that often got away from him (he was struck by his own lightning bolts more often than not), and was busily working on a “theory of everything” that somehow involved a recipe for a vegetarian lasagna. There were other characters that I played, but they were often short-lived, serving as a break from playing the character of... You guessed it, Greason Wolfe (sometimes known as Greawolfe, or Greason Nightwolfe). I figured, since I’ve been struggling with other maps, that I’d take this opportunity to tell his story, or at least part of it, and map an Inn as part of the process.

I spent the morning playing around with ideas for the sign to the Inn. It’s not completely done, and it may seem a bit confusing, but as I start to tell Greason’s story, it will begin to make sense.

So anyways, let’s get on with the show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sign WIP 001.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	129537
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

The tale-meister paused to catch his breath. It had been a long day, and though he wasn’t particularly fast on his feet, he’d managed nearly two dozen miles since sunrise. Two dozen miles that had led him through a half dozen villages and, as the sun had started to dip below the horizon, to the gates of the would-be city of Hadinbourne.

There had been no challenge at the gates, but the guards had charged him a pair of copper coins for entry, warned him that the bearing of unsheathed weapons was forbidden on the city streets after sundown. A small pittance to be sure, but his purse had grown lighter at every turn, the coins slipping from his purse into the hands of those in need. He’d always been a generous man when he could be. Now, as the last of the sun’s light was fading, he began to wonder if, perhaps, he’d been a bit too generous over the last hour.

“Suppose I should find myself a bit of work for the evening,” he muttered to himself. “Man’s gotta eat, gotta have a place to sleep, but where to find either or both?”

He took a moment to study the streets ahead and behind, those off to the side. It wasn’t the best the city had to offer, but neither was it the worst. The folks wouldn’t be wealthy but they might spare a coin or two for a good story. The food and drink wouldn’t be lavish, but it’d be filling. The beds wouldn’t be plush, but they’d be comfortable. It was the type of area a man like himself could find a bit of work. He’d taken no more than a dozen steps towards the nearest inn when something at the very edge of his vision caught his attention.

Turning slowly, for it was the way of such things to disappear if one looked to quickly, a smile found its way onto the wrinkled features of his face. A sign at the far end of a dark alley. A sign that he couldn’t quite make out at this distance. But it was a sign that was very familiar to him, an old friend of sorts.

And it called to him. A call that he couldn’t help but answer.

“Well hello there, old friend. Didn’t imagine I’d find you hanging around these parts. Not that I’m complaining, mind you. And saints, but you’re a sight for sore eyes.”

Straightening his shoulders, the tale-meister turned and made his way into the alley. It was dark, full of shadows and hidey-holes. And those were probably full of beggars, thieves, and ruffians. He wasn’t concerned, though. If it came to that, he could handle himself.

Story telling wasn’t his only talent.

With each step he took, he could feel the world around him shifting in subtle ways. The crunch of gravel and stone beneath his feet giving way to the soft rustle of grass and leaves. The painful groans of the suffering and voices raised in anger giving way to songbirds and the chirping of crickets. The humid stench of refuse and bodily excrement giving way to a cool mountain breeze laced with the scents of pine and oak, daffodils and roses. And there, at the very edge of the lantern’s glow, a shimmering veil, offering brief glimpses of worlds neither here nor there.

Standing, now, in the glow of that lantern, the tale-meister lifted his gaze to the sign hanging above and perpendicular to the door. Here and There Inn it read on one side. And on the other, Now and Then Inn. Those familiar with the Inn, as he was, knew just how appropriate those words were. If one knew where to look, always, the Inn could be found somewhere between here and there, or, perhaps, somewhere between there and here. And so long as one knew when to look, they’d find it sometime between now and then, between then and now.

Reaching up, he brushed his fingers along the bottom edge of the weather-worn sign. “How convenient that you’re Inn the Here and Now,” he murmured, chuckling at the silly play on words. “What do you say we see how full the house is tonight, eh?”

Felt like the previous version of the sign was a bit too cluttered, so worked up an alternate version. Just like there are two sides to ever coin, there are two sides to the sign....

Name:	Here and There Sign.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	129543

Name:	Now and Then Sign.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	129544
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Since I am going to attempt to do this in a style I've never tried before, I spent a bit of time playing with some wood texture and shadows. Feel like I did okay with this porch/patio area and a short set of steps leading up to it, but because this is new to me, I figured I would post it for comments, suggestions and/or advice before delving too much deeper into it.

Name:	Porch Test 001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	129558
    GW

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice howling Wolf ... I already love your story and looking forward to seing more of the inn. And I like the patio
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Oh wow, fantastic story, GW! I was really caught up in it. Really great idea behind this one, and looking forward to seeing how you develop it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really amazing so far. I am really curious as to where the story goes though so don't take too long between updates!

Thanks tilt, CP and Arimel.

Don't worry, there is plenty more story to come. Am trying to aim for once a week updates give or take a day. Don't want to burn out on this and with the new style (at least for me) want to make sure I get it close to right with the shadows and what not.
    GW

Still feeling my way through this style. Took another shot at the shadowing along with a little tweak to the railing around the edge of the porch area. Feel like I got a little closer to the mark, but still don't feel like it is quite right yet.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Name:	Porch Test 002.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	129634
    GW

Great story Greason! And I like what you did with the sign. A suggestion for the shadow of the railing: 1: I would make the shadow of the railing that you have just a little darker, and 2: I would put just a little line shadow on the other (north) side of the rail just to give it a look of being raised off the floorboards.

Name:	Porch Test 002 copy.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	129636

Thanks Mr. B. I will give that a shot. Fortunately the railing and the shadows for it are on separate layers. As a note, however, the "north" portion of what I have so far is going to be walled to start the interior of the inn when I get to that point.
    GW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast