Thread: IRL Maps

Map IRL Maps

I'm trying to use a drone to create battlemaps from real life. Right now I'm blending as many top down angles into one larger map so that things are as top down as possible. Wondering what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0001_BeachTop_45X45_grid.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	129574

Name:	0007_SnowBridgeSmall_40x40_grid.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	129575

Name:	0002_Ocean_Rock_99x48_grid.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	8.99 MB 
ID:	129576

The drone maps are cool. They would look even better without the grid, plus the scale of the grid is off anyway. If the grid is the traditional 5ft grid then the bridge is 18 feet wide, yet it looks like a footbridge that would be 8' wide. If you are using a 1 meter square then it is OK but still would look better without the grid.
    Looking forward to seeing more. I bought a drone to do the same thing a few years ago, but my $90 drone didn't take good enough pics.

Blog Entries

I like them. My recommendation is to take lots of top down drone photos and generate textures from them instead of whole maps and then build the maps from the textures. You could have done that already with these. Getting top down photos is the hard part so if you have a drone then your half way there.

Bogie, if you dont like the grid then you can try my grid removal tool on post #14 of:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=49031

The actual bridge is a road, so the grid is accurate. I have non-grid versions too, so if someone wanted to adjust the scale, they easily could. Thanks for the feedback!

I've been thinking about the texture thing, but haven't tried it yet. Definitely a good idea. Thanks!