Thread: ***May 2021 Challenge - Map Utopia***

Default ***May 2021 Challenge - Map Utopia***

Last month we explored what a dystopian near future might look like. This month's challenge is a much sunnier theme: map your vision of a utopian society. Given that there is bound to be some variance regarding notions of a perfect society, you have quite a bit of latitude with this one. For instance, to some Ray Bradbury's future advanced-technology based United Federation of Planets is the obvious utopian dream. However to an anracho-primitivist technological development is itself the problem rather than the solution. In their view the ideal society is perhaps best exemplified by tribal societies of the past. So whether this society is high tech or low tech, past future or present is entirely up to you. The type of map is likewise your call. The important point to focus on in this map making endeavor is to strive to offer others a vision of a better society.

The challenge shall close at the end of May and the winner (to be chosen by a popular vote) shall be awarded a new shiny digital compass. Also, as always:

1. Be sure to title your threads: May 2021 Challenge: <<your title here>>
    2. Use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before EVERY work-in-progress image you post so that the image will show up in the thumbnails
    3. Only maps begun on or after today are eligible to be entered into the challenge (no prior work allowed)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

I understand the idea. Sadly, hard to map though.

Maybe throw in one of the Mapping Challenge Suggestions for next month. There is a lot of quite interesting challenges there with some breathing room.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Beware the utopia hunters!

I think the problem with Utopia’s in general is that there are always trade-offs. Ursula Le Guin makes a good point here in “Those who walk away from Omelas”

I think therefore, that for me a Utopia has always got to be a retreat to living in a small family group, simply, in a wild area with plenty of natural resources, and few if any natural threats.

Also, perhaps it is a utopia... But at what cost? Perhaps there is something more sinister or a few skeletons in the closet in order to achieve and sustain this utopia.