Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy D&D World Map Commission $400

Map Fantasy D&D World Map Commission $400

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maalma.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	5.82 MB 
ID:	129618
    I have a homebrew setting and map I made several years ago with some dA brush sets that I would like to have redrawn from scratch professionally. I still have the .psd and can give that to you as well as a larger .png that's easier to look at, along with markups for what regions are what biomes. Some of the biomes have shifted since I drew the first map. I don't want my original map to be a restriction to the artist. At the end of the day this is a world map, so the level of detail I'm concerned with is showing biomes of regions, major cities/metropoli, and major terrain features. Maybe some wondrous markings, since there are some very large wonders in my setting. (I'm looking for a big map here, something that looks good as a wall spread)
    I don't have an accurate scale for the new map, I ball parked the scale on my map on my first go. The size I'm going for is somewhat larger than Great Britain.

Style
    I'm looking for a fantasy map with some color, like what they have going on with the FR Sword Coast map that gets reused in 5e books (page 5 SC Adventurer's Guide, for example).
    I'm not looking for that exact style, the edges are a little too well-defined, but something to that effect.

Quality & Size
    Professional
    For Print
    Dimensions of map: 24 inches by 18 inches, 7200x5400px
    Raster/Vector is artist's preference, so long as I can update map labels at a later date if I need.

Time Constraints
    I am alright with it taking a couple of months. I'm in no rush as this is just for me and I'd like to drop it sometime after the pandemic ends on my players IRL, which is ofc still a good while out here in the States.

Copyright
    I would like reproduction rights to the map.
    I would like copyright of the map.
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes.
    The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.
    Last edited by Zeyami; 05-09-2021 at 03:31 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Can you explain 'more detail'? That's good to know.

Hello Zeyami

I am interested in this commission.

Check out my portfolio of fantasy maps and if you are interested send me an email at TheFantasyMapsForge@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeyami View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maalma.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	5.82 MB 
ID:	129618

Quality & Size
    Professional
    For Print
    Dimensions of map: 48 inches by 32 inches
    Raster/Vector is artist's preference, so long as I can update map labels at a later date if I need.

Time Constraints
    Completion of commission in a reasonable time frame.

Copyright
    I would like reproduction rights to the map.
    I would like copyright of the map.
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes.
    The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Hello, Zeyami

You want to map be printed on 48x32 inches canvas? It is a something like 14400x9800 resolution in 300 PPI, it's crazy big. Procreate can't even create files this big. It would cost a lot more than 400$ if artist respect himself\herself.
    Fellow artists can correct me if I wrong with my calculation.

P.S.: My biggest map I drawing right now is 10000x7000 resolution and it gonna take me a year to draw, at least.
    Last edited by vb.maps; 05-06-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Yes, and also "a reasonable time frame"...

I have a client right now who just contacted me for their 2022 fall Kickstarter. A reasonable timeframe for them is like, a year from now. They just want it done by the time they run the Kickstarter.

I have a client who contacted me for their September book release. A reasonable time frame for them is like... by August, like 3.5 months from now.

I have a party who wants to give their DM a gift that I'm working with now. They have taken over a week to respond with feedback because there's like, 6 of them talking about it. A reasonable timeframe for them is "uh... when we get to it"... it doesn't seem like they're in any hurry or timeline at all even though they had a timeline when they first contacted me, they do seem to know that it is them holding it up now, not me.

Maybe that's you, Zeyami. Maybe you just want it 'whenever'. But more likely, you have a vision for what reasonable is. Give us a ballpark. A few months?

The size is huge but I'd do it, it's at about the top of my limits for size. It would definitely take a few months though.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Yes, and also "a reasonable time frame"...
    Maybe 'more detail' isn't the right way of putting it, I just don't want my original map to be a restriction to the artist. At the end of the day this is a world map, so the level of detail I'm concerned with is showing biomes of regions, major cities/metropoli, and major terrain features. Maybe some wondrous markings, since there are some very large wonders in my setting.

As for reasonable timeframe, I left it loose because I don't know what to expect. Now that I have an idea I would say I am alright with it taking a couple of months. I'm in no rush as this is just for me and I'd like to drop it sometime after the pandemic ends on my players IRL, which is ofc still a good while out here in the States.

I will edit the original post to reflect these remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by vb.maps View Post
    Hello, Zeyami

You want to map be printed on 48x32 inches canvas? It is a something like 14400x9800 resolution in 300 PPI, it's crazy big. Procreate can't even create files this big. It would cost a lot more than 400$ if artist respect himself\herself.
    Fellow artists can correct me if I wrong with my calculation.

P.S.: My biggest map I drawing right now is 10000x7000 resolution and it gonna take me a year to draw, at least.
    I just want a map I can print big and it'll turn out well. Mine was originally pretty big but honestly I don't know what looks good. Your work looks very good and it seems like you have a lot of experience based on your portfolio, so maybe I should be asking for a smaller size? I just don't know what an appropriate size would be.

Regarding biomes and details. I think if you have amount of details that can fill 48x32 inches and it not gonna look like empty parking lots, it gonna cost you something like 1500$+ with rights you want for a map.

My suggestion about resolution will be 7200x5400 or 24x18 inches if printed at 300 PPI. I'm interested in working with you, Zeyami. If you are interested in more discussion and working together write me at vdm.bulgakov@gmail.com

Hello,

My name is Valeriya, I'm a watercolor and ink cartographer. I'd love to create a world map for you. I enjoy collaborating with the world creators, help out with world-building and bring their vision to life! Please take a look at my portfolio here: world and region maps, city maps.

I can make up to 10000 px 300dpi by longest side, available for print. The base price for XL world map with commercial use rights (I retain copyright but I won't be able to use it for commercial gain) will be $900. I can create it within 3 months. If you like my style, please contact me at valeriyazhukova (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Quote Originally Posted by vb.maps View Post
    Regarding biomes and details. I think if you have amount of details that can fill 48x32 inches and it not gonna look like empty parking lots, it gonna cost you something like 1500$+ with rights you want for a map.

My suggestion about resolution will be 7200x5400 or 24x18 inches if printed at 300 PPI. I'm interested in working with you, Zeyami. If you are interested in more discussion and working together write me at vdm.bulgakov@gmail.com
    Okay, this seems reasonable. I will update my request as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast