Thread: Declination Viewer

Link Declination Viewer

After a forum search, I didn't find anything regarding declination and magnetic pole movements, and thought it might be worth while to post this declination viewer I ran across. It's one reason I discovered that maps need dates upon them due to our constantly shifting magnetic North in relation to the map. HTH!

K2

https://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/h...l_declination/
    Last edited by -K2-; 05-10-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Our maps here generally don't but if you get any Ordnance Survey map then it will have the date on it and the magnetic north direction at the time of print and also the first order offset per year to add to it right next to it. It is usually at the very top middle of the map.

Understood @Redrobes ; I figured as much since many maps are of fictional lands/worlds, and though likely not applicable to less advanced cultures' maps, it's a fun aspect to consider for other maps (more so, something that might be creatively played with... e.g. X-world has interesting line forms of declination).

I mention it in that I had to consider it in my own current work. In that fictional setting, I needed to consider the planet is having axial issues due to glacial loss, they've eliminated the people and lost the technology to check magnetic lines, they've lost control over most satellites, etc.. So, they canned tried and true methods and now use communication towers to establish grid lines...so 'north' is determined by grid alignment. But, that sort of underlying, fictional reasoning/nonsense is just fun for me. I like layers to my logic.

Thanks for having a look!

K2

This is super helpful since I occasionally work on maps based on real life. (As you saw.)
    If anything, it gives me a base on what something was so I can mess it up more.