Thread: Krita layer effects for terrain like in Photoshop

Help Krita layer effects for terrain like in Photoshop

I tried to follow Between World's excellent tutorial on how to make battle maps in Photoshop (https://www.between-worlds.com/tutor...le-maps-part-1) but using Krita instead.

Parts 1-2 are reasonably straightforward, setting up a dirt layer with a grass layer on top and a transparency mask. That is almost exactly the same in Krita as what is described in the tutorial. I can draw in the transparency layer and paths appear.

Part 3 is where it starts to get tricky:
    - Go to the "Layer" menu, then "Layer styles" and finally "Inner shadow".
    - Go to the "Layer" menu, then "Layer styles" and finally "Inner glow".

Then later in the tutorial there is a "drop shadow" layer style (used for several different things) and finally "a Bevel and Emboss layer style" (for the stones).

Any more experienced Krita user here that knows of ways to get those effects? Or are other techniques needed? Have not seen any similar tutorials for Krita. Maybe trying to mimic how things are done in Photoshop is not the way to go?

Figured it out on my own. Layer Styles are in the right-click menu for layers, not in the drop-down above the layer list where I searched for it. Makes sense. Looks like everything needed from the tutorial is included in Krita.

Played around a bit with a vector layer to draw shapes, then clones of that layer used in layer groups below fill layers containing textures that are alpha-locked to the layer below. Add some glow and shadow to the Clone Layers to make transitions between textures a bit smoother. I am not much of an artist, but I think I can come up with something good enough for my personal use.