Thread: The Berhássid Family's Townhouse

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default The Berhássid Family's Townhouse

The Berhássid family are the main characters in the fantasy novel I'm currently writing. Most of the action takes place in the city of Gaendyr (an old map of which you can find here. Back then I still called it "Ganador", but then I discovered that that actually means "winner" in Spanish, which seemed a bit too tacky for my taste!), specifically in their townhouse on Kvandru Island, one of the islands in the south eastern island cluster called Castraeni.

Since I wanted the house to "feel" realistic, I decided to map it out. Turns out that several of the corridors, hallways and rooms that I had initially thought up, were impossible to draw without major design flaws. So I redesigned it in such a way that the key rooms still fit what I have in mind, and the less important places have been shuffled around.

So. The family at this point consists of:
    • Erska Berhássid, the old master. Still in name the head of the household, but quite old and possibly no longer very lucid. Lives alone in the appartment on the top floor. His wife died years ago.
    • Cubrin Berhássid. Effectively the new master, and ruler of the family. Oldest son of Erska.
    • Irani Berhássid-Ezgavi: wife of Cubrin.
    • Their Children: Abrion, Ernos, Maira, Nomin, Niris. Niris' room has a direct connection to her parents' room. She's only 11 moons old at the time my story starts, so her mother can use a quick connection without having to go out on the cold corridor at night.
    • Bastwin Berhássid, Cubrin's younger brother. He's a military man, so most of the time he's out to sea, but his wife Mishya and their children Meslé and Corhé each have their own rooms in the house. The Bastwin branch of the Berhássid family also has their own drawing room on the top floor.

Cubrin has two more brothers who don't live in the house — Margidion, who is a man of Faith, and Druzzin, a man of no faith at all but travelling the world on the back of his brother's trade empire — but whenever they come over, they have a guest room waiting for them on the top floor. Cubrin's two younger sisters live with their husbands: Giddis has married another Gaendyr merchant and lives across town; Mazari hooked a Faltornian tradesman and lives with him in Faltorn. They visit as often as they can.

If there's ever more than one guest staying at the house, Bastwin's drawing room can be converted to another apartment in a pinch. During house parties, when several guest stay over but just for one night, the kids are "pooled together" in a handful rooms so the vacated rooms can be used for guests. The kids usually like this a lot, except for Abrion, the oldest, who demands his privacy. The Gods only know what he does when no one's looking (it's eating a heap of salted chocolate and reading romance novels. Don't tell!)

----------------------------

Okay, enough jibber jabber! Here's the floor plans!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021.05.18 - House Berhássid.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	970.1 KB 
ID:	129824

The idea is to use these to create a sort of cutaway plan, similar in style to this example. No idea how I'm going to do that yet, but that's my ambition at least!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Alright, first sketches of the isometric cutaway!

Name:	2021.05.18 - House Berhássid - isometric.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	651.9 KB 
ID:	129825

Currently cutaway-free, but that will be added later. I wanted to have the skin of the building sorted out first.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Very specific question for you guys: do you feel the minimalist doorways are easy to "read"? Or do they just confuse the matter?

Name:	House Berhássid - isometric (2021.05.20).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	617.3 KB 
ID:	129844

A very unfinished first stab at a cutaway view. Two floors partially done, two more to go.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Very specific question for you guys: do you feel the minimalist doorways are easy to "read"? Or do they just confuse the matter?
    IMO, the round archways define a particular--unconventional--feature and should remain. Any opening which is just a square pass-though (vs. arch) should have the header height removed (top and sides/jam/framing), and I'd consider not showing the door framing ONLY if you feel comfortable showing a partial door, partially swung open at the cut away wall height.

But, I'm not an architect so it's merely my uneducated opinion.

It's coming along nicely!

K2

Thanks K2, a very cool tip actually!

I worked a little more on the image, mostly simplifying the cuts so as not to confuse the viewer too much. I think it's a bit clearer now. And I also removed the rectangular door frames as you suggested and added doors! They're currently in red to point them out but that'll probably be changed later.

Name:	House Berhássid - isometric (2021.05.21).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	743.2 KB 
ID:	129846
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Nice work. That version (sans red) I think removes any question as to what I'm seeing and leaves little room for incorrect speculation (such as, is it a rectangular wall opening or a door). Well done!

K2

OK, newsflash. I started this map as a personal project between commissions, and since I now have another commission, this one will be on hiatus for a bit. Nothing new under the sun, I just thought I'd give you guys a head's up.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!