Thread: The life of Arimel the lesser

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default The life of Arimel the lesser

“Ah, so you want to hear of the great heroes of the world, do you? Here, for another ale I’ll tell you of Arimel, the great explorer [and cartographer of course ], who passed through this very village nye on 100 years ago. Thousands of tales do I know on him that I could recant for you this eve,” the young minstrel responded to my query.
    “Oh take a break Thurngold. Everyone has heard those tales already. Even the poorest minstrel could recant them,” his gristly mentor interrupted. “Here is a story, young’in that is less well known. Let me tell you the tales of Arimel the lesser.”

Okkkk. So I have been meaning to do this for several weeks now but have been having trouble formulating a good character story. I think I have one now though which shall unfold over the next couple of weeks or beyond.
    Arimel the lesser will be one of your classic protagonist, working for the little people in a land plagued with war. He will probably be a priest/paladin/noble warrior/healer/I am still thinking! I don't want to concrete anything beyond this just yet (or give away too many spoilers!) so I won't go much further than that.

I do have a couple of questions though for anyone who is more versed in the guildworld lore than I though.

1. What is the name of the guildworld? Is it just Guildworld or does it have a fancier name? This does not really partake to my entry here, I am just curious!
    2. I need a country/region to set my character in. It needs to be one plagued (or at least at some point in the past) by war. There would need to be at least two clear identifiable parties (separate kingdoms, warring princes etc.) that I can use as the antagonists here (though not necessarily evil, just willing to tear a region apart to kill each other). It would also be good if it was not a land that is merely a colony of somewhere else (which is why I am looking beyond my country (57?)). If anyone has any suggestions as to a country that would work please let me know - the information for each country is too large to just go surfing on a whim!

-Reserved for a later post to put all of Arimel's tale on the first page for ease of use access for others later. I will edit later updates into this post as I go so that it will contain my whole story in the end rather than the separate pieces that will be unveiled as I go.-

Hehe, promising! Glad to see you join this, Arimel .

Thanks Illanthar! I just completed everything for my first update so here it is! The way I plan to advance here is to reveal a bit of the story each time. Accompanying the updates will be a smaller map that is somehow significant to the update at hand and may give hints at what is to come (we will see how/if the hints actual pay out though. Things seem to change rather fast in my head ).

General gist and placement: After going through all of the guildworld countries I have decided that the Hundred Celestial cities (24 - Diamond) will be my primary location with a deviation out to the Khilang-Thale (10 - Tom). Argunu, the small village outline below, is near the border to these two countries, located just outside the city of Kai. I have attached a brief sketch of how the main map will turn out but expect a lot to change and a lot of planning to occur before the next update (it could be a while - I hope not though)!

Final note: I wish I had taken a tiny bit more time to draw the Argunu Estate... those houses were supposed to look like the Japanese castles (very low scale) sort of thing but instead look like red spiderwebs. Not going to repeat that style!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I remember when young Arimel was born. The Argunu family held a feast for a week celebrating the birth with the whole town – it must have cost a fortune. Elder* Akimasa was overjoyed to finally have an heir to bring the Argunu name back to the greatness it once held. I always thought he was a bit strange though, choosing a foreigner’s name for his heir but that was the Argunu family, always full of ideals and principles. It never seemed to get them where they wished.”
    Elder Jalni Kai
    * He did not become an elder until three years before Arimel’s passing, inheriting the title from his father as is custom.

“Although the Kai and Kimilo Families had larger and more extravagant gardens, I always enjoyed tending that of the Argunu Family. It always seemed so homely, particularly when Arimel was causing his normal chaos. The mess he used to make of the bonsais and Akimasa yelling for him to get back to his studies… Who could have known?”
    Gardener Goro Munkunu

“Was he always destined for that path? No. Akimasa and I had hoped he would bring the Argunu name back into the center of the Celestial cities. Trade. Politics. War if needed. Those were meant to be his tools. He was to draw on the heritage of all the cities to create anew the empire. That was the true meaning and intent of his name. He could have been so much more had he not spurned his family name.”
    Elder Chilo Arguna

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Argunu Estate.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	129887

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	129888

Heh. That is my plan as well, story updates with related map updates. Didn't really worry about exactly where mine is actually placed since it moves from place to place, world to world, plane to plane, and from one time to another.

On a different note, happy to see someone else jumping in on this. Imagine more will join in at some point. At least I hope so!
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Definitely agree with you. The world will be a boring place if there are just a handful of characters!