Thread: Denaway Canyon (personal project)

Default Denaway Canyon (personal project)

Another map for my "cosy place" series
    This time I wanted to make a map in this interesting ratio - narrow and long.
    It was a lot of work and I realised that I have to think about different way or technique for grass and trees.
    They take way too much time. I think I have to work on some brushes that will speed up the process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Denaway_Canyon_CG.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	130010

Cheers
    Rafal
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

No kidding they take time . The amount of detail in the leaves is amazing (as does the map as a whole)! I can't tell though what the main feature of the map is (the brown route). Is it a road or a dried river bed (or something else entirely)? For me things don't entirely make sense for either one so I am curious here!

This is looking great, I really like the level of detail you've achieved. I'm not surprised that it was quite time-consuming to make though.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    No kidding they take time . The amount of detail in the leaves is amazing (as does the map as a whole)! I can't tell though what the main feature of the map is (the brown route). Is it a road or a dried river bed (or something else entirely)? For me things don't entirely make sense for either one so I am curious here!
    Right... The main feature i suppose would be the canyon route. However I like to add things around and make multiple paths and levels to my maps. So i get that may be confusing.
    On the other hand, the map can be used in different ways for different purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    This is looking great, I really like the level of detail you've achieved. I'm not surprised that it was quite time-consuming to make though.
    Thank you. Yeah it was, but I guess I don't have a good brushes set (and technique) and I am playing around with simple round one for almost everything... that may be the cause
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Absolutely lovely map!

And about you mentioning the trees taking so long. Because the trees have random shapes, I agree in creating a brush out of them. Maybe 15 ish different ones and then you can just plop them down for a new project. BUT, for the sake of those situations where some of them will look the same as others? After you plopped down your brush trees on a new map, then just go over and alter the worst offenders in slight ways. I found it works quite well.

Hehe, so often, trees steal most of our time, where we could have let our creative juices flow elsewhere on the map.

I hope it at least gave you an idea on how tackle your time consuming tree problem.
    Last edited by XCali; 06-10-2021 at 05:08 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Maybe my new gold-standard for trees. So nice!

I love the waterfall too.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Absolutely lovely map!

And about you mentioning the trees taking so long. Because the trees have random shapes, I agree in creating a brush out of them. Maybe 15 ish different ones and then you can just plop them down for a new project. BUT, for the sake of those situations where some of them will look the same as others? After you plopped down your brush trees on a new map, then just go over and alter the worst offenders in slight ways. I found it works quite well.

Hehe, so often, trees steal most of our time, where we could have let our creative juices flow elsewhere on the map.

I hope it at least gave you an idea on how tackle your time consuming tree problem.
    Thanks XCali. I have been struggling to make some brush for some time, but I always find it difficult. Not enough randomness. Lately I was thinking of making some leaves kind of brush. Stoke few times with different colours and shades to make the texture faster. I even have few default brushes like that. But it somehow doesn't work as I would like it work, hehe. Still a lot to learn, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by squeen View Post
    Maybe my new gold-standard for trees. So nice!

I love the waterfall too.
    Thank you.
    New Horizons

Support: