Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 2021 Challenge: Astral Sky

Wip June 2021 Challenge: Astral Sky

I'm jumping in hot by jumping into the challenge, and then immediately getting overwhelmed with possibilities.
    I spent far too long looking up mathematical depictions of 4d and 5d space, and genuinely considered trying to depict something like hopf fibrations, torus universes, and the klein bottle.

However, I've decided to end up with something resembling a star chart, of possible realms that could be traveled to, within a multi-verse made of interlocking rings. This is a lot, and maybe too much, but hey, it's fun.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	astral sky.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	795.8 KB 
ID:	130049

I think this is the vague layout of what I want the map to look like, and the upper corners might have text or might be decorative. The central image will be the possible universes/worlds to travel to, the bottom left is the distances and dimensions, and the bottom right will be a visual of the interlocking ring structure of this multi-verse. Then there'll be a little portal on the right, showing how to travel, and some made-up equation on the left to power that.

Who knows, I might rejig this to showcase clearer the travel, so put a wormhole or the like, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wip

So I've figured out my aesthetic and started working on the base two sections :

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	astral sky.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	7.61 MB 
ID:	130051

I really like how it's turning out, but now I'm worried that the main 'star atlas' section is going to be terribly underfilled. I might switch it and make the main section the rings, and so have the space for extra rings/planes, and put the star map on the lower right.

Can you believe I was originally going to go with '100 rings of the universe' and I've currently got seven and it's already getting a touch overwhelming. Live and learn.

Also, I don't know if I ever explained, but the concept of this is that each universe is like a ring, and the multi-verse is a series of rings within rings, spinning within each other. They're each connected directly to the rings next to them, but to travel elsewhere, you need to time your travel to when the ring/universe you're trying to get to is in sight. And then within each ring/universe are the planets/realms that can get traveled to.

I'm trying to keep every image consistent with the other, but there is a remarkable amount of maths in this, that I truly do not have the knowledge to touch. Trigonometry, not my strength, so mapping out rings in perspective and the planets on them onto a flat plane is a test of intuition.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is a really great concept! I like the blueprint aesthetic of it.

I did end up deciding to rejig it to make the rings more key, because that's where I had more fun, and is more key to the concept? Though it fails to demonstrate the map of the portal itself anywhere on the page, I have just realised ....
    A map you'd have to take with you to get to the right astral plane? And maybe a brief descriptor on the page on how to navigate these wormholes?
    Hmmm, thoughts to be had.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	rings of the 'verse.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	8.05 MB 
ID:	130059

I really like how the aesthetic is coming along, though there is so much information going onto the page I'm worried about readibility?

To-do : all the typography, aka the part I always enjoy the least

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That is a really great concept! I like the blueprint aesthetic of it.
    Thank you! It's not something I've done much of before, here's hoping the final product will look as good as I'm imagining it!
    they/them | eng/한

Quote Originally Posted by Paritegic View Post
    here's hoping the final product will look as good as I'm imagining it!
    At this rate, it definitely will. Your imagination is perplexing, and I'm fond of the aesthetic you've used.

Interested to see the final result!

IR

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's kind of giving me a Time Bandits vibe. Which is never a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    At this rate, it definitely will. Your imagination is perplexing, and I'm fond of the aesthetic you've used.

Interested to see the final result!

IR
    Thank you! The aesthetic initially started off aiming for something very worn and old, but has evolved to be a touch more futuristic, and now also art nouveau esque. It's always fun to see the evolution of creations!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    It's kind of giving me a Time Bandits vibe. Which is never a bad thing.
    I had to look up an image but I do get what you mean!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	borders.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	8.35 MB 
ID:	130166

Current progress, working more on the layout and borders of the piece. The right is going to be dedicated to text, mostly a legend of the various 'verses, and some explanation.
    I think I might move all the decorated borders away from the map parts, as it's looking a touch cluttered, and I might change the circles in the title section to something more art deco esque.
    they/them | eng/한

I love maps in this style, can't wait to see the finished version.

Wow incredibly beautiful!
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Very nice! I'm fond of the colours and the design is very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast