Thread: World of Sherer

Guild Journeyer Impractical Cartographer's Avatar

Wip World of Sherer

Howdy, cartographers!

I am about to start a major cartographic project, during which I will create a large wall map of a certain universe, and then create a geographic atlas based on it.

Probably none of you is familiar with these novels. As I mentioned, they were quite popular in Poland, and have only been translated into Russian, Czech and Spanish.
    However, if you were curious, here is a short biography of Felix on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feliks_W._Kres

I had a friend, a fantasy writer who created one of my favorite universes.

Over the past few years, I have exchanged many letters with him about the geography of Szerer. This map was to be created after he finished his series of novels. However, fate willed otherwise. Felix died.
    So I decided to honor his memory by drawing as best I could a map of the world he created.

The maps in the books were not very pretty, but they gave some picture of the Sherer continent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	szerer-bw.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	134551

On the basis of this map above, as well as geographical descriptions from books and based on conversations with the author, I began to develop a more detailed map.

Name:	szerer-hypsometry.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	134552

It will be a wall map of about 70x50 cm and will be drawn at a scale of 1:5,000,000.

I still need to make some minor adjustments.

This small continent (circa 3.200.000 km²) is the only known land in this world. There may be others, but no one is able to get there. After all, it is known that there is only an ocean within a radius of several thousand kilometers from the shores of Sherer.
    This is because Sherer and the life on it is under the protection of an almighty power called Szernia. It is this power that gave reason and intelligence to humans, cats and vultures. It is she who protects Szerer from the power of the immeasurability of the oceans. In addition, over the ocean, the power of Shernia is weakening, which means that species endowed with intelligence are also weakening.
    Thus, he is a Szerer land kept under a "bubble".
    And maybe it's for the better, because long ago an alien power called Aler came from the northern ocean and seized a patch of land in the north and created their own life forms there. As alien as if they were from another planet.
    For this reason, I will not draw the entire planet and will probably never undertake it. For these reasons, I probably will not use the usual geographic coordinate grid on this map. I know the dimensions of the continent, but I don't know the dimensions of the planet. And it's hard for me to figure them out.

Perhaps for the purposes of Sherer a simple rectangular grid will suffice. I haven't decided yet.

To be continued...

Sorry to hear about your friend, but this seems like a very nice tribute to him. And that detailed map looks like a beautiful start.

Wip

A long time ago I thought that the hardest thing to do was to draw a map.
    Today I know that drawing is easy.

The hardest thing is to label a map decently.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	garra-and-isles.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	713.1 KB 
ID:	134558

Post Islands

Hi.
    Looks good. Only thing I would simplify/change are some of the islands. That is if you are going for a realistic look. I find that drawing islands my hand repeat the same shapes over and over. You might look for patterns in nature and copy them. Lakes gives me the same problem, they all end up looking like ducks or fish for some reason.

Good luck.
    Øystein
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	njnm.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	134559  

Quote Originally Posted by HINDSIGHT View Post
    Hi.
    Looks good. Only thing I would simplify/change are some of the islands. That is if you are going for a realistic look. I find that drawing islands my hand repeat the same shapes over and over. You might look for patterns in nature and copy them. Lakes gives me the same problem, they all end up looking like ducks or fish for some reason.

Good luck.
    Øystein
    And at what scale did you draw these islands of yours?

This would be 1:100. Organic shapes can be scaled up and down and still maintain realistic proportions. For a map of 1:500000 these shapes could still be used, but they would prob. be further apart.

Quote Originally Posted by HINDSIGHT View Post
    This would be 1:100.
    This is very interesting. Fascinating even.

However, I will stay with my "unnatural" island shapes.