Thread: June 2021 Challenge: Project Bifrost

Wip June 2021 Challenge: Project Bifrost

Hi all, I haven't taken part in any of the challenges here in the guild (though have on other sites), and thought it might be a bit of fun to have a go!

Just to start off, I'm not a good artist, so my map relating to a portal/wormhole will be made with vectors and I plan on heavily leaning into that hard edge aesthetic.

The prompt of magic portals and wormholes (and the places they connect to) leave so many possibilities and there have already been incredibly beautiful and creative responses to the challenge! My idea though is an almost infographic/simplified map of these portals that may have been printed onto a wall or something (I've never included a flaking paint texture in my maps before so it would be interesting if I can).

Initially I started brainstorming ideas of like a centre for wormholes allowing interplanetary travel in a sci-fi future. I was going to call it 'Nexus Hall' but decided against it later.

One of the main ways I wanted these portals and periphery worlds to be represented is in almost like how polymer chains are visualised. Spheres with connecting lines that signify the reach of these portals. With that in mind I sketched this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210618_191242.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	130215

I began to digitize this on Inkscape before sleeping on it and thinking more about the project. Today, I decided that the world-connecting system was quite reminiscent of the Bifrost from Norse Mythology. Unlike the rainbow bridge, however, I plan on making the map and infographic have a Yellow and Black colour palate, but I would use 'Bifrost' as the name of the portal hub.

Perhaps there were originally nine connected worlds and people thought it appropriate to give it this name, I might expand upon it with some text on the image. The map of the worlds and portals will go on the left-hand side, with the right-hand side having some more text and I'm also planning on making some views of planets, maybe like continents.

This is what I have done so far, also adding a concrete-like texture (though I don't know how to make it look good so the quality might never improve....)

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Project Bifrost.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	130216

Let's see how this goes. I plan on adding more things to the right-hand side. I'm not 100% happy with it, I think its fine, but lets see.
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Wip

Had a bit more time to work on my entry, and decided to add a bit more to the infographic surroundings. Never made anything like this before, and I know it's not exactly what's normally seen here.

It is on the simplistic side, but that was my intention

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	174 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	130251
    Instagram - @ftwinckless | YouTube - FT Cartography | Website - freddiewinckless.wordpress.com

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like it. It DOES look like the infographics you see at airports.

1 in 5 sliced? like it.

I like it, it's really funny and fits the style well, but also #mapswithoutnz

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levtrona View Post
    1 in 5 sliced? like it.
    That is exactly what I saw too! Not sure I want to try that...

Really neat so far!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Although just a heads up, you did misspell sliced.

Thank you Diamond, Levtrona, Tiana, and Arimel for your feedback!

The airport-like look was to hopefully capture a kind of mundanity of this portal use, but the 1 in 5 Sliced part to extenuate a weirdness.

W3 is also a map of the earth about 250 million years ago, so...possible time travel shenanigans too.

Can't believe I forgot to add New Zealand!! Thank you Tiana for pointing out that cardinal sin It is barely seen on the globe from this angle, but is there now!

And thank you Diamond for pointing out the blatant spelling mistake! Sometimes they just go right over my head

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	56 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	130262

Clever. I quite like this one.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh