Thread: Newbie Map Maker/Indie Author

Post Newbie Map Maker/Indie Author

I guess this is where I say hello. I'm an indie author who writes sci-fi and contemporary romances. I've always loved maps. The older the better. A while back I thought it would be awesome to make my own maps for the worlds I create. This wasn't really with the idea of putting them into my books, though I'm not ruling that out in the future. I'm a very visual storyteller. I like having references in front of me while I write or block out scenes. With contemporary stories, it always helps me if I have a map of the area where my story takes place. Thank you, Google Maps!

I thought it would be a great idea if I could do the same with my sci-fi stories. Hence, making maps of the worlds I create. I picked up Campaign Cartographer in a Humblebundle and haven't looked back. I've had a lot of fun playing around with the software and making maps. I'm still very much a beginner, but I think I'm getting better at it. I'm quickly becoming obsessed with map making and have visited the forums without registering for a while now. I figured it was time to take the plunge and join the community.

So hello!

Guild Apprentice

Hi there! Another CC3+ user. I've been intermittently working with it for a while, but recently my usage has picked up speed. I find that I can't tell a story at all without knowing where it takes place, which means, yes, a map first. I've been concentrating on real-world mapping using CC3+. I mostly hang out on the the Campaign Cartographer 3+ Facebook User Group where I have a couple of WIP's, but over here, I have one more or less finished map of Africa, in the "Finished Maps" section of this forum. I also visit the Profantasy forum from time to time.

Welcome to the Guild, I'm glad you decided to join us! I may be bias, but I imagine everyone around here is...but I always find maps in books extremely immersive. It's still one of the first things to look for when I pick up a new novel.

I would love to see more sci-fi themed maps as well so I'm definitely excited about your project.

Happy Mapping!
    - Josh