Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June - Aug '21 Lite Challenge: Map a Desert!

Default June - Aug '21 Lite Challenge: Map a Desert!

June - Aug '21 Lite Challenge: Map a Desert!

Because we are starting a few days later than usual, and because I am going to be super busy for the next 3 weeks, this Challenge is going to last TWO MONTHS! Deserts can be difficult to map so everyone has more time.

I would like you to create a map of a desert. ( That is a desert, lots of sand - no water, not a Dessert, lots of whipped cream - no regrets! ). That gives you a lot of choices. You can make a continental map that shows the location of the great desert, or a regional map that shows where the mysterious vanishing desert is right now. Or a more localized view of the desert with an oasis in it. You could make a desert canyon. Maybe a small village out in the vast desert. Perhaps you would go in the opposite direction and map an entire desert planet like the one in Dune. take your pick or come up with an entirely different idea.

Please remember to title each thread: June-Aug '21 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also remember to preface each image you want to show up in the thumbnail scraper
    with: ### Latest WIP ### (If you don't, your map won't show up for the voters at
    voting time, which might hurt your chances. ) Try using the WIP Icon to make it nice and easy.

Please note: If you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

The challenge will end on or about the 14th of August, after which we'll have 3 days of voting. The winner of this TWO MONTH challenge will receive, a circular silver compass, demonstrating his or her Magnificence!

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses,
    1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started on or after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished, unless you start over from scratch.

DEADLINE: End of day, August 14th

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This is perfect! I have a country from my homebrew world I have been wanting to map for a while and keep putting off and between 90 and 95% of it is desert (there is a single river running through it and the coast has a little green land). I hope this is enough desert to count!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    This is perfect! between 90 and 95% of it is desert (there is a single river running through it and the coast has a little green land). I hope this is enough desert to count!
    Absolutely! There is a tourist attraction here in Maine (it happens to be in the same town as LL Bean) that is called "The Desert of Maine". It only covers about 50 acres, but it is still called a desert. Go for it, it sounds great. Random rivers and green areas give deserts some character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Random rivers and green areas give deserts some character.
    so do skulls, dunes, and giant worms, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by mixerbach View Post
    so do skulls, dunes, and giant worms, of course...
    Heh Heh Heh Heh, He said "Dune" Heh Heh

Nice long challenge, Bogie. I will accept the challenge. Will try and finish it on time this time.
    View my website and Instagram

This is another one that fits into the campaign I'm currently running (Call of Cthulhu 7e, using the Down Darker Trails setting). I'm going to have to ponder what desert map will prove most useful for me to have in the short term.

Allyssa Faden had been preparing a Cthulhu-Narlothep Egyptian campaign that looks interesting.
    Bring on the Cthulhu Scorpions!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cthulhu-scorpion-demon-final1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	130312

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Bring on the Cthulhu Scorpions!
    I like that art. And that creature is ready to give so many hugs!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Yah.... Not sure I would want one though! Really great piece of art there though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast