Thread: Warhammer 40K battle maps / resources kits ...

Default Warhammer 40K battle maps / resources kits ...

Hello all,

I am desperately looking for maps and resource kits for the warhammer 40K universe.

I haven't found much on the forum (unless I'm mistaken), did I miss a particular post ?
    Would anyone have an idea to help me please ?

Thank you very much.

There would be no fan of the warhammer 40K universe on the forum ? Surprising ...

Very surprising ...

Hi KhorsKan

I didn't see your initial post when it came up. I'm a fan of the 40K universe and I used to play Warhammer40K although pretty much all my mapping has been for fantasy settings as I got into mapping through DnD.

I know there are a few cartographers who have produced maps in the past for Warhammer fantasy (Impractical Cartographer and PlanJanusza are two here on the guild that immediately come to mind) but I haven't seen much content for 40K, this map by FrancescaBaerald is the only one I'm aware of.

I have considered doing some 40K content in the past and I may still do some but the thing that has always stopped me (and probably many other cartographers) is the issue of licencing. I'm trying to bring in an income with my work and attempting to monetise something based on an existing IP can be quite problematic. As you're probably aware Games workshop has recently been screwing over creators of animations based in the 40k universe to clear the way for their own paid service with similar content and there's nothing to stop this from happening to other types of content in the future.

My advice would be to look at generic sci-fi maps of locations that could exist in the 40K universe or you could also try modifying existing maps. Otherwise, you may not have much choice but to make your own.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Blog Entries

I also didn't see the initial post but I have not been checking frequently either.

I used to play some Warhammer 40K but I did not make maps for it. If I recall, didn't impractical cartographer do some fantastic maps of the 40K universe or was it someone else ? I recall some amazing maps somewhat recently like this year but earlier like spring time. I'll have a little look around and see what links I can come up with.

Not sure its 40K but...
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=49186
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=18955

actually there is a lack of 40K maps around here isn't there...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-05-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I also didn't see the initial post but I have not been checking frequently either.

I used to play some Warhammer 40K but I did not make maps for it. If I recall, didn't imperial cartographer do some fantastic maps of the 40K universe or was it someone else ? I recall some amazing maps somewhat recently like this year but earlier like spring time. I'll have a little look around and see what links I can come up with.
    I'm pretty sure that the maps done by Impractical Cartographer have been of the Warhammer Fantasy world but I could be wrong.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Thank you both for your answers !

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    (...) actually there is a lack of 40K maps around here isn't there...
    Yes, I'm afraid so.