Thread: Small collection of maps.

Guild Member

Map Small collection of maps.

For the last few days I have been working on my style and doing some quick studies. I am very fond of the style but not quite sure which parts should I have improve or cut off. Every comment is welcomed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pp2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	130940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	4.97 MB 
ID:	130941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pp1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	130942  

I like them. The variance in line weight really works well with this cartoon style. Buildings and trees look great. Nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Member

Thanks a lot.I'm trying to find a consistent coloring style, any thoughts?

Really love these maps. Personally I like the color scheme better on the last two maps. The really light colors on the last one reminds me of J. Edward's work.
    Maybe just a bit more texture to the coloration of the forests might be nice, right now it's pretty easy to tell it's just a round brush.
    The only other thing I would recommend is to upload smaller images, maybe half size. I find it's just easier to view when zoomed in, because you get a better balance of details blending together to make a bigger picture compared to when viewing at 100%

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

These all look great, you have a very unique and interesting style, in terms of colouring I probably prefer the middle one slightly over the other two.

One thing you could consider is a more aggressive use of shadow. In your style you seem to use a lot of very tall elements and having darker shadows on the objects and on the ground behind would really emphasize that verticality and make the maps pop more.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Really love these maps. Personally I like the color scheme better on the last two maps. The really light colors on the last one reminds me of J. Edward's work.
    Maybe just a bit more texture to the coloration of the forests might be nice, right now it's pretty easy to tell it's just a round brush.
    The only other thing I would recommend is to upload smaller images, maybe half size. I find it's just easier to view when zoomed in, because you get a better balance of details blending together to make a bigger picture compared to when viewing at 100%
    Thanks for everything it is really helpful. I am new to digital painting tring to bring my marker and colored pencils style to photoshop and I need to fine tune it and maybe make some brushes that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by wminish View Post
    These all look great, you have a very unique and interesting style, in terms of colouring I probably prefer the middle one slightly over the other two.

One thing you could consider is a more aggressive use of shadow. In your style you seem to use a lot of very tall elements and having darker shadows on the objects and on the ground behind would really emphasize that verticality and make the maps pop more.
    Thanks for your comment. Tall elements fit my style best but I'm trying to fit other things that haven't been very successful so far. I will definitely follow your advice. Thank you so much.

I don't quite know how to describe the precision you have achieved in these maps, but boy-o I love em, they're so fun! The different line strengths just do it for me, repped!

IR

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I don't quite know how to describe the precision you have achieved in these maps, but boy-o I love em, they're so fun! The different line strengths just do it for me, repped!

IR
    Thank you, that really put a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by limon View Post
    Thank you, that really put a smile on my face.
    I made someone smile on the other side of the planet? Day made!

IR

Hehe, a super cool collection, with an unique and promising style. 'love them all !