Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Oct '21 Lite Challenge: Rainard's Rise

Guild Artisan

Working away. Have the basis of the camp fire although I am finding hard to make it realistic at this range. I dont think anything bigger than a 5 foot pit to keep realistic, and that leaves for tiny rocks around the ring.

Building up a rough ring of boulders around the top of the rise. That was my original idea, that the rise was the best place to defend oneself in an otherwise barren landscape.

Thinking the overlapping crab grass flattens the rocks a little much, so some cleaning up and work left to do. And I want to add some more remnants of the ancient fireplace.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampFireHill8.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	131383

I think you have the scale for the campfire just about right. If you add 3 or 4 more rocks it will be easier to tell what it is.

Depending on how recently it was last used you could also add scorch marks. Scorch marks last longer on the rocks themselves but they scorch less than the ground. I'm not sure the mechanism by which scorch marks disappear, I believe it is just slowly getting washed away by rain and covered/mixed with dirt.

Guild Artisan

Thank you. I left a few rocks out, the more complete ring was not looking so natural. Added a scorch ring around the rocks, tryin Falconius's suggestion.

I am still not sold on the rocks themselves, The black outlines, in particular. But without them they just fade into the ground.

Added some more dead trunks, branches etc. and a stump.

Thinking this one is done. Might add a border and title to wrap it up still though.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	CampFireHill9.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	131409

Looks great, but yes, I agree, a border & Title will make it look more complete.

Guild Artisan

Alright, I am thinking this one is done. Did some new techniques on this piece, painting and drawing of rocks trying to bring in some more depth. Created a bunch of new undergrowth underlays, pebble overlays, general grunge. Also rendered a bunch of news plants.

A fun challenge, and on top of it, best part really, some one has already used it in a game. Love hearing that.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Rainards Rise01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	131432

I like that "side view" at the bottom! It makes a lot of sense in terms of scale and is super useful!
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    I like that "side view" at the bottom! It makes a lot of sense in terms of scale and is super useful!
    Thanks. I had been wanting to try that for a while now. Worked out well. And it lets me know just how much more I can improve on my top down views. So tough to get heights with a top down light source.

Great finish Kier!

This looks great! Really authentic. The only thing I can nitpick about is perhaps the main text block. It's a little pixelated, and darker compared the to the map title. It's a very small thing overall, though. Great work!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast