Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Oct '21 Lite Challenge: Camp Murderclown

Wip Aug/Oct '21 Lite Challenge: Camp Murderclown

Welcome to Camp Mertherkrown! Located in the scenic forests of the Greenshadow Mountains, Camp Mertherkrown was opened in 1956. Rumor has it that it was built on the site of a horrible massacre of local natives by settlers led by Captain William T. Farrow. Farrow used to be one of our local heroes, till some documents were uncovered that recorded some terribly racist things he said while watching some of his slaves being whipped, and now they don't mention him so much. I'm glad the camp is named after Leopold Mertherkrown, who still has a good reputation. Anyway, there are tales of how the woods hereabouts are haunted by the spirits of Captain Farrow's victims. Never seen any myself, but you'll hear all about it during scary story hour around the campfires.

Camp Mertherkrown is equipped for roughing it in one of our well-tended campsites, as well as a more sheltered experience in our three cabins. There is also a main office, where you should go in case you need help with anything, including medical care from our on-site nurse. Finally, the biggest building of all is our dining hall, also used as an indoor meeting area and projects room. We provide three meals a day there for those who aren't doing campsite cooking. There are also plenty of activies to enjoy. At Camp Mertherkrown, we take pride in offering young people a chance for social development and the learning of practical hands-on skills in the great outdoors, as well as a chance for parents and teens to enjoy some time away from each other.

What's that? Yes, I am aware that some persons think it is clever to refer to the camp as "Camp Murderclown". Especially since that time Steven Atley dressed up as a clown and killed nine campers and two staff before sheriff's deputies gunned him down. And, of course, this slur on the great Mertherkrown camp was only reinforced when Gordon Prinz and then Kelly O'Rourke committed similar killing sprees. But as we all know, bad things come in threes, so we are in the clear now! That's why Camp Mertherkrown is fully booked for the current season...

Camp Murderclown is a board game where one player takes on the role of a murderous clown trying to kill teens who have been sent off to camp by parents who desperately need a couple of weeks free of adolescent attitude. The other player takes on the role of the camp staff and campers, trying to keep them alive and possibly even capture or kill the evil clown. That's the theory, anyway. I'm not actually going to design the game, though I have to think through a few rules to make sense of the board set up.

I am starting with a base of an overhead shot I found on pexels.com, attributed to Kelly Lacy. This has already gone through a bit of GIMP filtering, but that's all. The next step is to carve up the board into spaces, then I'll alter the areas that won't be staying forest. I'll need to create some "game pieces" to arrange around the board to show it in use. Otherwise, I think the final map would just be a bit too static.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camp Murderclown.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	4.93 MB 
ID:	131190

Sounds like a scary story, or game, or movie! Something wicked this way comes!
    Welcome to the challenge!

Well, having completed my September challenge map, I returned to this one, and today's effort was giving up on finding a dirt texture to use for the trails and clear areas after an hour of searching and just finding a trail to use as a model to try to create my own. Sigh.

Wip

Well, I've got a general layout of the camp and a bunch of game tokens that can be arranged to show the map "in use". These are cut down from pexels.com photos, and represent a stage of development short of final art, which would be original and made to a consistent style (one would hope), but this should show a game board suitable for late-stage playtesting, pre-production demos, and pitches to a publisher. In short, ahead of anything I've got for games I'm actually developing. The campfires are thanks to Bogie (Thanks, Bogie!), while the buildings are my work.

I still need to set up the archery range, add some tokens for items that the campers can use to defend themselves, mark off the regions for movement, and set up tents (which is probably the biggest job). That might be all. If I end up with time, I may come up with one or two more ideas.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	18 
Size:	8.83 MB 
ID:	131379

Glad to see you are making some progress on this. Happy to see the campfire get some use, it was an actual campfire that I took a picture of.

Wip

And now it's looking like a game board!

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	16 
Size:	8.83 MB 
ID:	131384

There is an excellent chance this is the final version, but if anybody has any suggestions or sees a problem, please let me know.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	25 
Size:	8.88 MB 
ID:	131410

I would suggest a simple border, a title and a little legend explaining that this is a board game board.

Map

Fonts are Ubuntu Bold (terrain effects box), Kaori Gel Bold, and Exquisite Corpse.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	41 
Size:	9.11 MB 
ID:	131461

Great, Looks more polished!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast