Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you learn to draw by making maps?

Default Can you learn to draw by making maps?

Quite possibly coming here for a strange and dumb reason. That is, however, proven to be my way of doing things.

I work in an extremely creative workplace. Constantly surrounded by these amazing creative folk, making these amazing creative pieces of work like it is nobody's business. Alas, I am but a janitor who looks at them in awe and wonders if maybe I try, I could do that too someday maybe.

Concluding this rambly introduction, I am here because I love to tell stories. And making maps for my stories might make them more interesting and help me develop some artistic skills along the way.

With love~
    Grímr

Not a strange and dumb reason in the slightest! You can certainly pick up quite a few things by drawing maps, I know I have.
    Take a look at the wonderful tutorial section we have if you haven't already, you might find some useful things in there to get you started.

We also have a WIP section where you can post anything you are currently working on, if you'd like to get some help and feedback from the community. We're here to help in any way we can!

Welcome to the Guild! Need anything, just holler.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

AH!
    As someone who could literally not draw stuff once upon a time, I can definitely say map making opened up a path I never thought I would ever be able to walk. Now I can draw stuff. How do you use mapmaking to accomplish this? Try stuff, draw stuff, fail often, but learn. And then successes comes more often. You see a cool mountain. Take said mountain and try to draw it. It might look horrid the first few times, but after a while your hand becomes more accustomed to it.

Good luck!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

My first real job was as a janitor. I learned to draw while being a janitor. It's not where you start, it's where you go. Welcome to the Guild. Lots of kinds of maps don't involve 'drawing' so you're in luck if you prefer to Photoshop items together or 3D model or vector or use data and coding... cartography is a big field.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I definitely think so! I haven't done too much drawing, maybe just a bit as a kid. But I've been drawing maps for years now and recently I decided to take up nature journaling and test my hand at painting some birds and other things, and I was shocked how decent most of it turned out. It seems I've steadily improved at drawing over the years just by mapmaking.
    There are lots of resources here at the guild and it will definitely improve your artistic ability! Welcome

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thank you for your encouraging words and warm welcome.

I have decided to go with Gimp simply because it seems to have similar features to the other software while also remaining free of cost. I will spend a day or two reading and following some of the guides in the tutorial section. They seem to be very easy to follow.

My first goal is to get a small city planned, and then find an art style that resonates with me.

I think so, really, i hope so. I never draw before start making maps, so, i believe i can draw. I experience for my self, with time.

After a lot of discussions and looking around, I got my first drawing tablet!

It is an Intuos 5 medium and got it second hand for $43 with shipping. Now, I think I am ready to start my GIMP-y journey! I'm gonna start by cleaning... a lot of cleaning. And then drawing some mountains!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tablet-dustyboy.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	5.50 MB 
ID:	131232

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrskegg View Post
    After a lot of discussions and looking around, I got my first drawing tablet!

It is an Intuos 5 medium and got it second hand for $43 with shipping. Now, I think I am ready to start my GIMP-y journey! I'm gonna start by cleaning... a lot of cleaning. And then drawing some mountains!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tablet-dustyboy.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	5.50 MB 
ID:	131232
    Since you have a tablet I'd actually suggest Krita for a better drawing and painting experience. Although maybe things have changed, it pays to experiment a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast