Thread: September 2021 Challenge: Gruberun

Map September 2021 Challenge: Gruberun

I doubt I'll have time to do it justice but I was surprised no one used this texture to make a topographical map and I wanted to try doing something that is a style I don't normally do...

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gruberun.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	131209

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

You have a great set of shapes there, and a well-chosen color scheme. It immediately reminds me of images taken from space.

Thanks, Jshoer, that was the goal, to try capture the satellite look. The shape's all thanks to the texture provided by the challenge. Look at them side by side and you'll see the white is now the water and the black is now the land!

Views:	42 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	131229

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Ohhh! i've lost this beauty! Look at it!! Nice nice nice!
    I am wondering to know what your process was! this is something I want to try!!!!!

GOOD work!
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Thanks, RenflowerGrapx.

It's pretty easy. It's just a gradient map adjustment layer over top of the texture converted to black and white and tweaked a bit for contrast, then a few other layers to adjust the lighting some more: a darker ocean, a glow around the shoreline, a texture overlay, a hue/luminosity/saturation adjustment layer...

The basic of it is that I have a gradient layer set up like this, and you can put that on any black and white texture appropriately height-map looking too...

Name:	gruberun gradient.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	131263

Here it is on another texture so you can see what it looks like when you only have the gradient without the various lighting and texture add ons.

Name:	24basemap.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	897.9 KB 
ID:	131264

This is what it looks like without the gradient map layer, so you can see where I've added my own touches to get to that result.

Name:	alexgruberunsplash-minus gradient.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	884.8 KB 
ID:	131265

And here's what it looks like now... a tiny bit of decor, realistic satellite style mountains, a bit of river.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	56 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	131266

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Thanks, RenflowerGrapx.

It's pretty easy. It's just a gradient map adjustment layer over top of the texture converted to black and white and tweaked a bit for contrast, then a few other layers to adjust the lighting some more: a darker ocean, a glow around the shoreline, a texture overlay, a hue/luminosity/saturation adjustment layer...

The basic of it is that I have a gradient layer set up like this, and you can put that on any black and white texture appropriately height-map looking too...

Name:	gruberun gradient.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	131263

Here it is on another texture so you can see what it looks like when you only have the gradient without the various lighting and texture add ons.

Name:	24basemap.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	897.9 KB 
ID:	131264

This is what it looks like without the gradient map layer, so you can see where I've added my own touches to get to that result.

Name:	alexgruberunsplash-minus gradient.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	884.8 KB 
ID:	131265
    I don't know if "all caps" is allowed. If so, consider I'm shouting: thank you!
    This is something curious that I'll be happy to test! Thank you so much for sharing this quick tutorial. I do appreciate it. Still, I think you have mastered it in an interesting way! I'm really happy to see your entry and watch it evolve!
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings