Thread: Affinity Suite for map creation?

Question Affinity Suite for map creation?

I moved away from photoshop a few years ago and fell in love with the affinity suite, mainly the fast loading and less overloaded UI features. It just did what i needed and ive rarely gone back to photoshop/illustrator just because affinity hasnt caught up in a few areas. Does anyone else here use affinity for map creation and im curious the workflow with it if anyone does.

I use Xara Designer Pro, which is like Illustrator, and like Affinity easy to learn and use, it's faster than Illustrator, with unlimited undo. I use bevels extensively in my maps to simulate elevations and Xara has the most feature rich bevel system of any graphics application I've ever used. I've used Xara since XaraX1 which was released around 2004 (currently using version 11), so a line of software I've used for a long time. I've used other Serif applications, those created before Affinity, and I've heard a lot about Affinity as more a replacement for Photoshop. I know many former Photoshop users that are very happy with their move to Affinity, especially is cheaper cost than the ongoing subscription cost of Adobe products.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

that sounds great actually

I have all three Affinity apps and am hoping to move away from Photoshop. I use it more for the graphic design aspect of my map business though rather than illustration. Almost all of my actual map making is done in Procreate.

The ability to do digital painting in Photoshop for a long time made it cutting edge and the industry standard. But, they really haven’t improved upon their brush engine in years, and in my opinion it’s way behind and frustrating to work with. I see a lot of people switching to Affinity, Procreate, Infinite Painter, or Clip Studio Paint to draw their maps me I think they’re better off.

- Josh