Thread: September 2021 Challenge: Kaffeen, the Energetic Isle

Wip September 2021 Challenge: Kaffeen, the Energetic Isle

I had hoped to get a shape of my own, but that's not happening, so I'm working from the provided picture at the very top of the challenge, which suggests an island with a major city location with a picture inset, as well as latitude and longitude lines. I'm not sure what the shape of the legs is going to be, though I'm thinking it's probably some sort of dire supernatural thing.

The borders of the spill are a bit hard to determine in places and where the view is blocked by the person walking by, I have had to resort to sheer speculation. But I think I've done a reasonable approximation of the original shape. Work so far is all in GIMP.

Kaffeen is, of course, a volcanic island, somewhat like Iceland, and it is also a locus of magical power, leading to its nickname of "the Energetic Isle". And that's absolutely as far as I've gotten with the lore at this point.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaffeen.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	131228

For reference, this is the image this is based on.

Name:	jan-antonin-kolar-QQNQjrKEl6w-unsplash smaller.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	131239

Things progress. I'm unsure about the texture on the sea. The stain might also go away. I just like it as a sort of joke, the spill on the map of a spill.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	23 
Size:	813.4 KB 
ID:	131245

Not sure what else there is to do. Labeling the minor settlements would likely make things too busy. I'll probably stick a border on it. Maybe something decorative in the way of a vessel or creature to fill the sea toward the top of the map.

Kaffeen is fabled for its volcanoes, its delightful hot springs, and its magic. There are more wild magical creatures and phenomena per acre than any other area of comparable size, and over the centuries, all manner of magic-wielders have made their way here, making the City of a Thousand Spires wealthy, wondrous, and powerful out of proportion to reach of its rule, which has never extended beyond Kaffeen and its associated smaller isles. Its glories, however, are now threatened, as is all the world. A growing region of dark and chaotic magic known as "the Blight" has been spreading from the Burning Crater, where the city of Almaprest was obliterated by a great fireball from the heavens. Some claim that the Blight is the judgment of the gods, who have looked on the peoples of the world and found them wanting. Others say it was the unfortunate result of attempts by the magicians of Almaprest to pull down power from the heavens gone horribly wrong. Still others say it was the opening attack by some extraterrene race that intends to reshape the planet to its needs before invading to make their final claim. The vast majority of those who have done proper investigation of the phenomenon, however, believe that the Blight is a natural magical effect of the object that occupies the Burning Crater. It is on this basis that the efforts to slow, contain, contract, and ultimately, expel the Blight go forward. Progress of the Blight has been brought to a crawl near Kaffeen, though not before the fishing and trading town of Nevilt and the merfolk city of Blurbelmokd were devastated by it.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	38 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	131258

Can I say this is getting fun? It's so creative! I have some wonders about the legs on the left hand side LOL but you know, the way you used the lines from the floor, the name chosen, and the overall mood, made this map unforgettable for me. <3
    Last edited by RenflowerGrapx; 09-27-2021 at 07:32 AM.
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Wip

Border and decorative creature added, as well as marking merfolk ruin.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	24 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	131286

Holy peppers, all those volcanoes... I get it now why this is "energetik" XD I Am not surprised by the lost city now!!!
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings