Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Open-Source Planetary Terrain generation tool

Guild Novice

Hi, selden.

Short answer: see if your antivirus hasn't blocked some of the files.

Unfortunately, Unity only allows me to create a release package with all of its DLLs in separate folders. I could not find a way to create one single .exe

It is true that this program uses a LOT of GPU processing, and therefore will be considerably faster in systems with better graphic cards.
    I have tested this in a laptop with a 2.59 GHz CPU, 16.0 Gb RAM and a Geforce GTX 1070. It ran fine.
    That's a high-end system, for sure, but I also tested this in a laptop with a 1.80 GHz CPU, 16.0 Gb RAM and an integrated onboard graphics card (Intel UDH 620). It was PAINFULLY slow, but it did run.

So the only thing I can think that may actually prevent the system from running is if your AV software blocked some files. In fact, by your description, it really seems like some core unity DLLs were blocked.

Guild Novice

### Latest WIP ###
    I'm actually starting to like what I see.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-20211015-1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	131506 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-20211015-2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	131507

I have found that the basic Incise Flow operation has a major annoyance with a simplistic uphill flow computation: areas at and just downstream of a join tend to be excavated deeper than they should be, leaving little pits around the joins. A fluvial operation just after that will tend to fill in the pits and give better flow computation. I have an over-reliance on basin fills to get rid of pits to make the flow network more extensive, though, so my experience may have a different level of controllability than yours.
    In Wilbur, the "Amount" value in Incise Flow is more or less a multiplier for the flow map and it clips the eroded altitude to 0, which is why larger amounts will give flat-bottomed valleys superimposed on the terrain. The clipping is approximately a bug, but it was useful so I kept it.
    The flow computation can also be used for river finding and surface metrics, btw. Wilbur's Texture>>Other Maps>>River flow does the basic flow computation, and the exponent translates to river length. The flow is then thresholded at some level and colored between the river colors based on flow count. Using the basic flow map as coloring (simple black-to-white coloring, no threshold) can give you insight into how your erosion algorithms are doing (a good flow network will show up nicely; a broken one will be obvious disjoint). It can also be used as an approximate water amount to let you get wetter regions near rivers to allow for river valley coloring.

Quote Originally Posted by D1060 View Post
    Greetins to all.

I have been, for a time, working on a tool that generates procedural planetary textures out of noise function, and applies some basic erosion algorithms into it. I have come to the point where I think I could share what I have for now, in case anyone of you find it of value.

I called it "WorldMaker". It's part fractal terrains, part wilbur.

https://github.com/d1060/WorldMaker/

It's made on Unity and currently only supports Windows.

Some Screenshots:

Attachment 131344Attachment 131343Attachment 131345Attachment 131346Attachment 131347Attachment 131348Attachment 131349

If you like it, or if you find any issue with it (there's bound to be some), please let me know. Also, if anyone would like to contribute to the code, drop me a message either here or on GitHub. I still plan to add some features and do some maintenance, but I would welcome any other pair of arms to help it grow.

Best regards to all.
    Very very interesting, I downloaded, but since there is no exe , and I am not expert in this , how do I launch ? I do need to get Unity or what?

Guild Novice

Hi, Naima.

You have two options. The simplest is to download the latest release package from GitHub. The release packages are in the center right of the project screen in GitHub. Here's a link to the releases page:

https://github.com/d1060/WorldMaker/releases

In there, you find Windows executables with an .exe file.

Or, the complex option, is to download the source code, and run it in Unity. You can download the latest source code from the "Code" green button close to the top center of the screen.

Guild Novice

At last, after a fierce battle, I have managed to tame the local minima and implement a very passable Incise Flow.

Thanks agan to Waldronate for your valuable explanations.

Name:	Screenshot-20211025-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	131651 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-20211025-2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	725.8 KB 
ID:	131652 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-20211025-3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	537.9 KB 
ID:	131653

At last, after a fierce battle, I have managed to tame the local minima and implement a very passable Incise Flow.

Thanks agan to Waldronate for your valuable explanations.

Name:	Screenshot-20211025-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	131651 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-20211025-2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	725.8 KB 
ID:	131652 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-20211025-3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	537.9 KB 
ID:	131653
    One note, Did you link rivers to Incise flow ? Because incise flow is good to carve erosion but not ncessairly rivers, in my opinion , or the way I use is to carve shapes and then use river flow to get rivers but not all incised terains should be getting rivers, plus with a low exponent it should mostly create canyons that are visible from space otherwise many rivers even large ones would not be very distinguisheable in depth . Did you add a blur option pre , during and post ? Because seems many of the incised flows are pretty hard .

Guild Novice

Hi, Naima.

The rivers are linked to the incise flow, in the sense that, since they flow to the sea according to the heightmap connectivity, they always, at some point, will flow into a crevice created by incise flow.

I have added a few more options to allow for controlling rivers. You can either plot river colors based on the incise color strength (as the screenshots before show), or now you can also have a number of random points in the map selected as the starting point of rivers:

Name:	Screenshot-20211026-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	580.9 KB 
ID:	131662

I have also added options for Pre and Post blur for incise flows. Pre blur will blur the flow crevices, creating a slightly ridged incline around them. Post blur will average-out the terrain erosion, and creates a smoother result.

I suppose at some point I'll have to write a user manual for this.

Right now I am working on bugs.

Regards.

Hi, Naima.

The rivers are linked to the incise flow, in the sense that, since they flow to the sea according to the heightmap connectivity, they always, at some point, will flow into a crevice created by incise flow.

I have added a few more options to allow for controlling rivers. You can either plot river colors based on the incise color strength (as the screenshots before show), or now you can also have a number of random points in the map selected as the starting point of rivers:

Name:	Screenshot-20211026-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	580.9 KB 
ID:	131662

I have also added options for Pre and Post blur for incise flows. Pre blur will blur the flow crevices, creating a slightly ridged incline around them. Post blur will average-out the terrain erosion, and creates a smoother result.

I suppose at some point I'll have to write a user manual for this.

Right now I am working on bugs.

Regards.
    I think there is a prolbem with latest v 10 , whenever I load it after a while it crashes.

Guild Novice

Yes... there was a problem. Incise Flow was allocating memory like crazy and never releasing it.

I have fixed this in v1.0.11.

Thanks a lot for pointing that out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast