Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fryth Anvor, Continent Map

Wip Fryth Anvor, Continent Map

Hello all,

I'm redoing an old CC+ gaming world map from several years ago as a personal project/WorldAnvil piece. Much left to be done, but I'm happily chugging along.

After a lifetime spent using graphic assets from others I'm trusting my own aesthetic and illustrating everything myself. Quite fun, but it does slow things down a bit.

Digital map, working size is 24"x36" @ 300dpi, final size will be adjusted to 18" x 24" @300dpi. Done with Photoshop and Cintiq 22". Time investment to date is ~100 hours of productive work. (We are all our most demanding clients, no?)

Hope everyone enjoys the WIP as much as I've thoroughly enjoyed perusing everyone's work here since returning a few weeks ago!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 21_1010_ WIP101021_ WIP101021.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	7.47 MB 
ID:	131430

I really like the painterly way you used for the waters.

Thank you! I'm actually going to consider the whole once I finish the color washes for the land, and might actually de-saturate things a little in the waters to keep focus on the continent, but those decisions will be made in the future. I appreciate the feedback.

Progress continues. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 21_1014_ WIP101621.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	8.07 MB 
ID:	131528

More work from today.

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 21_1017_ WIP101721.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	9.30 MB 
ID:	131539

Name:	beachwork.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	131540

Name:	hillwork.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	131541

Name:	mesas.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	618.9 KB 
ID:	131542

Name:	Mountain Treatments.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	952.4 KB 
ID:	131543

Working up the layers of color in the mountains. Slow going, labor of love. But the map is coming together nicely.

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 21_10122_ WIP102621.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	131678

Name:	wip_mountains 21_1026.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	131679

Quote Originally Posted by Pacio49 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm redoing an old CC+ gaming world map from several years ago as a personal project/WorldAnvil piece. Much left to be done, but I'm happily chugging along.

After a lifetime spent using graphic assets from others I'm trusting my own aesthetic and illustrating everything myself. Quite fun, but it does slow things down a bit.

Digital map, working size is 24"x36" @ 300dpi, final size will be adjusted to 18" x 24" @300dpi. Done with Photoshop and Cintiq 22". Time investment to date is ~100 hours of productive work. (We are all our most demanding clients, no?)

Hope everyone enjoys the WIP as much as I've thoroughly enjoyed perusing everyone's work here since returning a few weeks ago!

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 21_1010_ WIP101021_ WIP101021.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	7.47 MB 
ID:	131430
    That map is lovely.

Just one issue I see: you've got two rivers originating in the central forest with no evident source (lake or mountains). I could believe they originate in the two nearby mountain ranges and ran underground before surfacing...but you'd need to indicate it.

Update below.

Thanks for the notes on the river sources for the central forest. The branch to the north is from the wooded hills just to the north of it. I'm aware the treatment needs to be differentiated from 'large trees', I just haven't gotten back to re-ink them to make that more clear. It's a map-wide adjustment still to be done. The one to the south has seasonal flow in the rainy season, dries up in the summertime. Although the rivers are marked out and currently transparent to the water layers underneath, they aren't rendered yet, so the seasonal flow will be indicated. But thanks for the notes!

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 21_1117_ WIP111621.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	131885

More updates. Getting into the home stretch for this one. Aiming to be complete in the next few weeks.

I did some more finishing work on the mountain ranges in the south, re-inked the hills for size updates, finished the base color washes for the southeast of the world, and kept going with the forest coloration treatments. I also began painting the hills on the western grasslands and into the western mountain branch and added some color to the rift chasm cliffs.

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 21_1223-1@0.3-WIP-122.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	132215

Really nice map!
    I'm not sure if you're still working on it, but I find the grassland could use a bit more texture, you can pretty easily see a hard round brush was used. I'd suggest to try and use a grunge brush to add some more texture to the map (something like this). Or maybe try blending it a bit more

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast