Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fryth Anvor, Continent Map

Thanks! It's still in progress. Paused for Holidays and Covid but resumed again.

Went back over the forests and gave them the final texture (still a few up north to finish up, will be done later tonight). Getting into the home stretch as I'm freed to work on the rest of the rendering for the map. I appreciate the comments, it's just slow in coming.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 22_0224-1@0.3-WIP0104.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	132879

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 22_0224-1@0.3-WIP0104.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	132929
    Finished the textures on the forested areas (a few cleanup spots left but the basic color is done for the woods).
    Started work on the hills base colors and developing textures for wooded hills.
    Did some preliminary brushwork on the east and north to layer textures and colors for the final land appearance.

I stopped counting the hours in this map around 300. Redoing the forest treatments was worth it, but added significant hours to the map.
    And on I go.

Finished with the base texture/color rendering of the land. Touched up the rivers coloration. Began experimenting with treatments for rocky hills. Still not happy yet but I'll figure it out soon. I've started doing layer mask adjustments and a zoomed-in details sweep as I go, cleaning things up, deleting stray marks, organizing the layers better in Photoshop, cleaning up edges, and beginning to work on blending color fills and features with the newly-rendered 'flat' parts of the map.

I'm hitting that point where the progress is exciting and momentum toward completion is pulling me back to the drawing tablet for longer stints than I have been doing.

Name:	SP001 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map 22_0224-1_0.3-WIP0302.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	132934

Looking wonderful! I especially like the forests and the plateaus.
    I really like this map because the shape and colors remind me a lot of one of the first digital maps I made.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement.

And ironically enough, I just started working on the finished renderings for the hills last few weeks. (Day jobs take away so much time from mapping, lol).

Name:	progress1.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	133049

As I go I'm erasing the 'bump-bump' hills and doing the final shape/color rendering section by section. There's a few spots that need more work on the map, but I really want to get this finished. I'd like to parlay what I've learned into more maps, of course.

Name:	22_0315 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map_.5_75_0315.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	6.83 MB 
ID:	133050
    Onward!

The map looks really great! The one thing I noticed is that the transitions between freshwater and ocean are still a little rough, though I'm sure you're probably already aware and perhaps it is still on your to-do list. Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    The map looks really great! The one thing I noticed is that the transitions between freshwater and ocean are still a little rough, though I'm sure you're probably already aware and perhaps it is still on your to-do list. Good work!
    Yeah, Rivers haven't been touched yet with their final treatment. The existing freshwater is still 'blocked in' color. I'm trying to finish hills and mountains before I move on to other areas. And at some point I need to add settlements. Always a longer to-do list than time to do it with.

Thanks for the support!

Name:	22_05-25 - Fryth Anvor Continent Map_.3_75_0405.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	133540

Doing more work on fleshing out the inked details on all of the hills. Next will be finishing painting the hills and the segments of mountains which haven't been finished out yet, then settlements added, rivers and lakes rendered, border, rose, cartouche, and labels done. Plus any minor tweaks or transitions that need adjusting. The hardest part is getting time with a day job to work on it!

Detail of the hills. Inspired by tutorials from Alyssa Faden and applied to my own style and technique. So far so good. Just time-consuming.

Name:	hills details.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	133541

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12