Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Neyasha's Mapvember 2021

My favorite so far is the "screen." Totally agree with CP about the interpretation. Like others, hope and wish you luck in getting through all of the prompts.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Doing a map every day sounds harder than doing Nanowrimo to be honest... good luck.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I tried it several times but did not go through. You are brave, hold fast

Thank you all so much for your kind words! Your support really helps me to stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Doing a map every day sounds harder than doing Nanowrimo to be honest... good luck.
    Somehow it's harder as well as easier for me. With NaNo you don't need new ideas every day and it was easier to get a little bit ahead. On the other hand it's also nice that every day is a new start. I don't have to fear that I might mess up a whole novel/project.

Thankfully it's weekend now, so today everything was a bit more relaxed. The prompt is "lock" and I decided to make a map of the 14 gates of Hochosterwitz - a castle in Carinthia, Austria. If you haven't heard of it you should really look it up, it's absolutely amazing!
    Unfortunately the sepia ink acted kinda weird. It feathered horribly on the paper, but didn't want to stay on the quill - most times I could only draw one small line before I had to pick up more ink. Can ink get bad? I haven't used this one for years (and I'll probably never use it again ...)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapvember2021_06lock.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	404.4 KB 
ID:	131770
    Last edited by Neyasha; 11-06-2021 at 11:17 AM.

The first week is over! Three more to go ...

Today the prompt is "ladder" and I decided to draw a lighthouse that plays a small role in one of my fantasy stories.

Name:	mapvember2021_07ladder.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	131796

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    By far I think.

Nano is what, 50k words a month and only draft quality, if memory serves me right, probably not, lol. And this is 30 maps and each finished.

This light house is my favorite so far. I like the stairs circling around, and the ladders inside.

You got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    Nano is what, 50k words a month and only draft quality, if memory serves me right, probably not, lol. And this is 30 maps and each finished.
    You are correct. 50k, 30 days, draft quality (editing strongly discouraged during November) It's 1667 words per day. Easily done in an hour if you've planned your scene even the day before.

I like the lighthouse too though.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Yes, Mapvember is more time-consuming than NaNo, but nonetheless I'm not as stressed. I love the relaxing feeling that it's no big deal if I mess up a map - it will be a brand new start the next day. With NaNo I sometimes managed to write myself into a corner and found it very hard to find a solution so quickly. But then I'm not good at planning a whole novel ahead and being a discovery writer isn't the best for NaNo.

Today's prompt is "barrels" and I decided to go with a scene from "The Hobbit":

Out they went under the overhanging branches of the trees on either bank. Bilbo wondered what the dwarves were feeling and whether a lot of water was getting into their tubs. Some of those that bobbed along by him in the gloom seemed pretty low in the water, and he guessed that these had dwarves inside. "I do hope I put the lids on tight enough!" he thought, but before long he was worrying too much about himself to remember the dwarves.

Name:	mapvember2021_08barrels.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	131801

This map is done in ink and watercolour and I think it's my personal favourite so far. I still don't really know how to control watercolours and the sketch paper doesn't take them well, but there is something about working with them I just love.

Today I found out that my business trip this week is cancelled due to Covid. The situation in Austria right now is very alarming (here we go again ....), but at least I'll have more time for Mapvember now.
    Last edited by Neyasha; 11-08-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    But then I'm not good at planning a whole novel ahead and being a discovery writer isn't the best for NaNo.
    I think being a 'pantser' is Nanowrimo classic mode. I've done it several times with no planning at all, except "my main character is named x". It's challenging though. My 2021 novel is certainly not planned apart from "the ending act will be y happening" everything getting them there is open for interpretation. I hope you try Nanowrimo again sometime and make your novel real, but I respect you picked this challenge instead.

I love that you mapped a scene from the Hobbit! It's very precious. So simple and delightful I could see it as a book illustration.

Love that last one, and have to agree with Tiana - that would make a illustration for the book!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast